5g reef

Discussion in 'Reef Tanks' started by snakeblitz33, Nov 18, 2016.

1. snakeblitz33

snakeblitz33 Well-Known Member

Bugs keep setting off the GFCI unit. I hopefully have that problem taken care of now.

2. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

Insect bugs?

snakeblitz33 likes this.
  3. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

4. snakeblitz33

Yes. Insects keep bridging the Gap. Apparently they like warm spots.

Not bad for four gallons of total water volume. I am saving room for MACNA frags.

5. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

Tanks amazing.
    It is 8 degrees at my house so no bugs to worry about for a while.

6. jay0705

I believe its 11 here so bug free aswell. Very nice tho

7. one-fish

one-fish Active Member

Electrician by trade and have seen all kinds of problems with spiders and such....remember spending hours troubleshooting only to find a spider web between two contacts

8. jay0705

Where r u located i could use a good electrician lol

9. one-fish

one-fish Active Member

Virginia Beach......but also RETIRED..

lmforbis likes this.
  10. jay0705

Lol dam

11. snakeblitz33

Getting some bubble algae on the mini pump. I can probably take it out and wash it in freshwater.

I know when I tank is telling me that I need to do a water change now.... It gets a little hazy/cloudy.

Soon as I do a 2g water change and change the chemipure blue out every 30 days, it's back to business as usual.

12. florida joe

florida joe Well-Known Member

Love the pic BUT please tell me the mason jar in the background has some good old southern moonshine

13. snakeblitz33

Apple pie moonshine

jay0705 likes this.
  14. snakeblitz33

I have a little extra cash and I wanna buy something for the tank BUT I have no clue. Lol

15. jay0705

Ruby red draggonet

16. snakeblitz33

Naa. I'm not interested in fish. Are there any new pieces of equipment or something fun to play with on a tiny tank?

I guess an apex Jr. On a 5g is overkill. I did enjoy the temp and pH readings though.

17. snakeblitz33

I am considering custom building a 12g nano before MACNA. Just gotta think about it.

18. snakeblitz33

Seems like 5gallon tanks need frequent small water changes. About once a week the water turns a bit cloudy and I gotta do a 2g water change. Once a month I'm having to change out the chemipure blue. But, at least the tank seems in stable cycles and things are really starting to grow.

Pics soon.

19. jay0705

Excellent

20. snakeblitz33

I took a cheap plastic razor blade and cut off some of the plastic surrounding it. Instead of buying one of those expensive scrapers from the fish store, now I have a ten cent one that actually worked really well.

My tank always looks healthy after a water change... But I think I'm going to buy seven gallons next time and do a 2g water change to stir up all of the detritus in the system and then do a five gallon water change to siphon it all out. I might do that once a year to get a good refresh started.

jay0705 likes this.