8 weeks now past my intial rookie mistake, what next

kunathm

hi guys, I am now at the 10 week mark. I still have some algea and I'm trying to take the next step carefully. I was told a week or two ago to add more snails (mix of snails) I haven't yet (still scared from my first ordeal)

what I have in the tank now is

10 blue leg hermits,
10 cernith snails
1 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald

20 gallon tank (about 16 gallons of water)
20 pounds of rock
25 pounds of sand

here are my pics

thoughts, suggestions ?

I have become more patient than I ever thought I could be !
tank.JPG
tank 3.JPG
tank 2.JPG
tank.JPG
tank 3.JPG
tank 2.JPG
tank 4.JPG
tank 5.JPG

silverado61

Somethings causing your ammonia to reach between 0.25-0.50 and your Nitrates to maintain 20-40ppm. The Nitrates aren't the problem. It's the ammonia that you need to worry about. You need to get that down to zero. Those vials and charts look like API test kits which aren't too reliable in my opinion. Is it a marine test kit or standard? I think it's time to invest in a better test kit. SeaChem and Red Sea are good kits. You can get a standard Red Sea marine test kit for about $45-$50. Not much more than you probably paid for the API kit. With a good marine test kit, your readings should be different than what your getting now.

Anyway, somethings feeding the ammonia which in turn is feeding the algae. Are you feeding the tank? If so, stop. Turn off the lights for a couple of weeks and increase your CUC. The Blue Leg Hermits and the Cerith Snails are ok but they each have a particular job to do. You need different types of Hermits and snails. Ten of each. Nassarius Snails burrow through the sand and help keep it stirred and clean. They pop out of the sand when it's feeding time which is pretty cool to watch. Nerite and Turbo Snails do a much better job on the Hair Algae in my opinion as well as keeping the glass clean. Different types of snails have different shaped mouths, thus they require different types of nutrients.

As far as Hermits? Scarlet , White claw and Left Handed Hermits, to name a few, go to work on the Hair Algae and Detritus and also do a great job of cleaning up any uneaten food and dead animals. Their pincers are shaped different to do different jobs in your tank.

Make sure you do a proper acclimation of all snails and hermits.

The Peppermint Shrimp, if it's a true peppermint ( some stores don't know the difference.) is a good scavenger and should eat any small Aiptasia that might pop up in your tank. Mind I said should. Some haven't gotten the memo yet.

The Emerald Crab will scavenge for food but it's main diet is Bubble Algae.

No fish till you get the ammonia down to zero and can maintain zero.

Last edited:

kunathm

Somethings causing your ammonia to reach between 0.25-0.50 and your Nitrates to maintain 20-40ppm. The Nitrates aren't the problem. It's the ammonia that you need to worry about. You need to get that down to zero. Those vials and charts look like API test kits which aren't too reliable in my opinion. Is it a marine test kit or standard? I think it's time to invest in a better test kit. SeaChem and Red Sea are good kits. You can get a standard Red Sea marine test kit for about $45-$50. Not much more than you probably paid for the API kit. With a good marine test kit, your readings should be different than what your getting now.

Anyway, somethings feeding the ammonia which in turn is feeding the algae. Are you feeding the tank? If so, stop. Turn off the lights for a couple of weeks and increase your CUC. The Blue Leg Hermits and the Cerith Snails are ok but they each have a particular job to do. You need different types of Hermits and snails. Ten of each. Nassarius Snails burrow through the sand and help keep it stirred and clean. They pop out of the sand when it's feeding time which is pretty cool to watch. Nerite and Turbo Snails do a much better job on the Hair Algae in my opinion as well as keeping the glass clean. Different types of snails have different shaped mouths, thus they require different types of nutrients.

As far as Hermits? Scarlet , White claw and Left Handed Hermits, to name a few, go to work on the Hair Algae and Detritus and also do a great job of cleaning up any uneaten food and dead animals. Their pincers are shaped different to do different jobs in your tank.

Make sure you do a proper acclimation of all snails and hermits.

The Peppermint Shrimp, if it's a true peppermint ( some stores don't know the difference.) is a good scavenger and should eat any small Aiptasia that might pop up in your tank. Mind I said should. Some haven't gotten the memo yet.

The Emerald Crab will scavenge for food but it's main diet is Bubble Algae.

No fish till you get the ammonia down to zero and can maintain zero.

Gotcha,

So in my small tank just how big of a clean up crew ? And lights off for a couple weeks ? Will that mess with my live rock? It is starting to purple up.

It is an API reef test kit. I really wish there was just a digital tester that I can dip in the water and tell me what's going on ! Lol

If I got the Mix of snails on here (20 snails) would that be good ? I'm not overly concerned at this point with the money aspect.

Also, should I add more live rock ?

Oh and what about adding a sump ? What's the best, easyiest way without drilling ?

Last edited:

silverado61

Gotcha,

So in my small tank just how big of a clean up crew ? And lights off for a couple weeks ? Will that mess with my live rock? It is starting to purple up.

It is an API reef test kit. I really wish there was just a digital tester that I can dip in the water and tell me what's going on ! Lol

If I got the Mix of snails on here (20 snails) would that be good ? I'm not overly concerned at this point with the money aspect.

Also, should I add more live rock ?
One per gallon of four types of snails. One per gallon of four types of hermits. Once the algae is under control and your perameters are where they need to be you will need to supplement their feeding or give some of each to your local fish store.

Your rock will be fine and the amount you have looks to be sufficient for your tank.

Go online and order a good marine test kit. If your not concerned about the money aspect, express mail it and get it soon. And follow the directions to the letter and they are not hard to follow. The results are timed so get a couple of digital timers. Use the API for your QT tank or sell it and make some of your money back.

kunathm

Red Sea Fish Pharm ARE21525 Marine Care Test Kit for Aquarium ?

And what about adding a sump ? Or hang on back refugium ?

silverado61

Red Sea is the one I use. "There are many others like it, but this one is mine." A quote from the movie, Full Metal Jacket.

What size tank do you have again?

silverado61

And get rid of that floating thermostat and get a digital one. You can find them for about $15.
I think I saw one at PetSmart for $9

Just a thought.

silverado61

Suggestion on what ones ? I just ordered the Red Sea test kit
Reef Octopus makes a good HOB skimmer. As far as an HOB fuge? I don't know. I've never used them. After my 36g bow front with an HOB skimmer, I upgraded to a 72g bow front with a full sump/fuge below in the stand. Check out aquacave.com they have CPR and Finnex HOB fuges for a pretty decent price.

lmforbis

I agree with the advice. I think sumps are better but you use them for more than just a fuge. You can get a hang on the back overflow. And the sump is a place you can put equipment.
I agree with the reef octopus hob skimmers. I have one that works well.
Hang on the back fuges are an interesting idea. They can be hung on the side as well and can be a bit of a display feature. I am not sure how well they really work. I have considers one in the past so I could watch the fuge.

kunathm

I agree with the advise. I think sumps are better but you use them for more than just a fuge. You can get a hang on the back overflow. And the sump is a place you can put equipment.
Hang on the back fuges are an interesting idea. They can be hung on the side as well and can be a bit of a display feature. I am not sure how well they really work. I have considers one in the past so I could watch the fuge.
I'd like to see how I could add a sump I think

silverado61

If you have the room, go with a 20g or even a 30g sump. DIY it. That way you can customize it to fit your needs and it would more than double your water volume and keep your display more stable. Too bad you didn't think of this before you could have drilled the tank. But you can still use a HOB overflow to feed the sump. Just be careful they can be a bit tricky. And don't forget the skimmer.

silverado61

I agree with the advice. I think sumps are better but you use them for more than just a fuge. You can get a hang on the back overflow. And the sump is a place you can put equipment.
I've known people to put Mangroves in a HUB fuge. They look awesome.

kunathm

If you have the room, go with a 20g or even a 30g sump. DIY it. That way you can customize it to fit your needs and it would more than double your water volume and keep your display more stable. Too bad you didn't think of this before you could have drilled the tank. But you can still use a HOB overflow to feed the sump. Just be careful they can be a bit tricky. And don't forget the skimmer.

I don't know if I'm up to that kind of diy ! Lol