a little help with my tubing please

hillsaregreen

two days ago i set up my first saltwater aquarium. due to the lack of space i went with a 60 gallon hex. i have set it up with salt, the rocks, the plants, and the fluval 403 filter. due to the size of the tank, i had to cut the water intake tube shorter to fit the wall dimensions. i hooked tow of the tubes together to give me more holes for the water to come back into the tank. My problem is that whether or not i use one or two of the tubes, i get a whistling sound from the tubes. i believe that i am not the only person to have ever had this problem. do you have any suggestions? also do i need to use the return tubes in the tank or can i just have the return water come in and blow straight down in one stream? the fluval 403 does have a minimum output of 260 gal/hr. which is why i put the two sections together as i thought the whistling was just because i had too few holes for so much water to come through and was causing the whistling. please advise me on what the best way to approach this problem. thanks!!

seamore

like to help, but, never had that problem. BEWARE, a canister filter will not push a salt water setup, u are lacking biological. good luck

kris

First, your 403 will "push" your 60 tank just fine. (Assuming this is a fish only tank) Did the tubing your using come with the filter?? Meaning are you sure it is the right ID/OD?? He is right about the air though, sounds like the clamp just isn't tight enough. Check all four clamps ( the screw type things that fit over the hoses) Then check that the cover of the pump is on securely (they are hard to close). When the filter whistles, is it actually working properly, or is it not working??If not continue self-priming (it may be that the filter is not fuly primed.)