Acan drying up?

juanro

Past few days I've been really busy, and haven't had time to sit down and see how the tank was going.
Yesterday I noticed that the biggest head from my acan frag dried up, all I can see is skeleton and a tiny little bit of flesh.
Anyone know on what might be causing this? Should I worry about the rest of the frag drying up as well?

btldreef

They do not like alkalinity swings, or high alk levels, so definitely check that. Is it in high lighting? They usually will slowly die in high lighting.
Try feeding the other heads as well

juanro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389054/acan-drying-up#post_3435546
They do not like alkalinity swings, or high alk levels, so definitely check that. Is it in high lighting? They usually will slowly die in high lighting.
Try feeding the other heads as well
Will have to check up on the alk.
I had it in the sand, lights are 4 x 54W T5s.

novahobbies

The also don't like drastic Mg swings. If you've been dosing Mg, you might want to test it to make sure it's not too high. Had a frag die when I dosed Mg for a bryopsis outbreak once.

wartooth1

My acan was closed up until.I starting dosing my tank with magnesiumonce every few days. Now its very happy. Try and see if magnesium helps. Also, you say that in the course of a few days the skeleton is already exposed? That sounds a little drastic. Are you sure there is nothing in that tank that could be nipping at the coral? Or maybe try dipping the coral for parasites?