Accidental Coral. Major “oh it’s pretty” moment

Vgaines

i was at my local pet store picking up salt, filter media etc. I made the mistake of looking at the fish. I saw what I thought was a really cool plant and I have been having issues with high phosphates so I though adding plants would be a good thing. Told the associate that I wanted that plant. He said ok had another associate bag it up for me. I paid and was on my way home. Googled how I should acclimate my new plant only to discover it was a coral. I know, stupid mistake. I purchased a purple sea whip. Now I only have a FOWLR tank and I’m so not ready to be a coral mom. Still trying to get the tank back in order after not having it for 8+ months. Because of 4’ of water in my previous apartment, thanks to Harvey, my tank was at a friends house. I’m down to two clown fish, a feather duster, a pistol shrimp and my cuc and now a sea whip. I added a power head for more flow and it seems to like the strong flow from two different directions. All polyps are extended. I have no idea how to take care of this thing and google has such conflicting info. I need help. I do t want it to die. What do I do?? Lol. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Vgaines

This is my light. I have had the feather duster for about 6 months. He’s open all the time and is enjoying the extra flow.
Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You could also take it back to the fish store since it doesn't seem like you really wanted to go with a coral.

Vgaines

Lfs doesn’t do returns on anything saltwater. So far it’s doing good. I added more flow and so far it seems happy. All polyps are extended and I target feed it every other day.