Acrylic or Latex paint for background?

noobie

I want to paint the back of my tank black but don't know which kind of paint to use. (tank is empty)
Acrylic, Latex, or other?

jumpfrog

Used latex on mine; but, if I were to do it over I would go with a harder paint. Latex will scratch off too easy.
Good Luck!

rsd

May be obviouse but you ARE going to paint the OUTSIDE of the tank right?
I've heard of people doing the other, just wanted to make sure you were going to paint the outside.
Latex may peel since it does not adhere to glass, acrylic would do well but $$$$, oil based would do fine but let it air for 3 days before you add water or its fumes may leach.
I used a piece of "foil" that I colored and placed against the back of the tank. Looks great and its not permanent.
Actually I used Mylar that I cut to the size of the tank and then placed a sheet of colored gel (from a lighting supply) cut to the same size infront of the mylar and pressed to the back of the tank. It looks like the color of very dark blue metal.

jodeman

Just a thought, I'm using colored poster board. I just taped it to the back, and about every 6 months I change the color. It works great, and only very cost effective. (just another idea)

javatech

just an other thing to do. if you paint it you don't have to clean the back of the glass anymore one less thing to do :D

I am new to this too. I am setting up my 125 gallon tank right now, and was thinking of what to do with the back as well.
Following some posts about the subject, I tried a black plastic back (cut down the sides to fit), last night. My first try looked pretty dumb. I used Target brand Lawn and Leaf bags, and you could totally see through the plastic. Smokey grey with plumbing showing through, -UGLY.
Then, I tried black contractor refuse bags from the hardware store. I remembered that these were amazingly thick, we put plaster and lathe in them when we remodeled our house. Also, they come VERY big, so there was no trouble with fitting it to the tank.
This worked really well! I used contractor grade black electrical tape to seal the edges. You can't see through it at all. Very black.
I was worried about painting because I have a parrot in the same room and they are very sensitive to chemical fumes. You know, the canary in the coal mine thing. (And my husband dreams about putting the tank in a wall someday, so we would need both sides clear).
Just my experience. Good Luck.
-Christine
:rolleyes:

jmesmcm

I used blue rustoleum and rolled it on the back of my tank and it looks great. I did after the tank was filled and established, I had been using plastic that had been painted and affixed with carpet tape until I found the color I liked and got tired of the plastic falling off or water getting splahed between the plastic and the back of the tank so decided to paint it.

eng50

Something else to think about...You may want to remove the paint later...ie selling tank to go bigger, changing placement to see all sides etc...
Sooo...either paint it with Latex based paint or use a backround, my $.02!!
Some have had good luck with smoked black plexiglass, same effect, and cut to fit, and readily removed.
I painted mine with the latex paint, with a roller, and have had no problems thus far...
HTH
PS for an already extablished tank, if you are going to paint it ONLY use latex, and use one of those real skinny rollers like for behind toilets, they actually work better than normal ones! Oil based paint will fume the tank..=dead tank....

bklynz00

Thanks for the established tank info. very useful. It may encourage me to actually paint my 155 gal bow tank. I have an awful back ground I'am dying to get rid of. :) I will use your advice on "Acrylic" paint only.

noobie

Slick: I like your new avatar.
I think I am going to use spray paint too, especially since I already have some. That's one less trip to Home Depot for this expensive hobby.

gregzbobo

I used acrylic enamel from Payless Cashways (no longer in business btw). I did not paint the sides of my tank, only the back. I like looking in the sides. :)

danrw84

i was just thinking about this tonight, and then i saw this post! cool
I hate my tape on background. Its always getting water behind it. I know i am not going to change the color, (black)
my tank is already established but i can paint it no problem. Question is...what paint will stick to my glass tank?
A roll on would be much better.

danrw84

and it sticks to the glass? doesnt scratch off?
what kind of paint ? would i just ask for EPOXY paint?
it would be better if i could get something i could roll on.
tank is established. any ideas?

gregzbobo

Acrylic enamel, or latex. Latex goes on thicker, but peels off easier, acrylic takes a couple of coats, and doesn't peel, but is a pain to remove if you ever have to do so.