Adding correct fish

BILLYNY

New SW tank 50 Gall with 2 small clowns and 1 small royal gramma basslet. Fish in tank only one week now but looking forward to adding a fish or two in a few weeks . Would there be a decent size larger colorful type fish with the same demeanor that I could possibly add or is that a no no adding a much larger fish with smaller ones even if same type of non-aggressive behavior . Any species recommendations would be appreciated .Thank you

Attachments

lmforbis

Your tank isn’t really big enough to add a larger fish. You could do one of the dwarf angels, they get about 3 inches. I have a flame angel that is very colorful.

before you try any more fish I’d work on getting your aquascape into more of a reef like environment, not meaning corals but a lot of rock work. Reef fish establish their territory in the rocks. Without an adequate number of caves and other hides holes they will get stressed especially as you add more fish.

here are some pics I’ve taken diving in the ocean that shows their natural environment as well as one of my tank. The goal is to emulate their environment as close as possible.

I would also taking the time now to set up a small quarantine tank so it is ready for your next addition. It just takes one sick fish to while out all the others. I always recommend 30 days of quarantine prior to adding the fish to the display, longer if the fish turns out to be sick.

F0A806D0-63CA-412B-8164-C4EC27E23F6B.jpeg
FE327F76-DB1E-4E0E-BFCF-11EF22C388D7.jpeg
B76A24BA-B10F-4B87-944A-8944A4E47C3A.jpeg
6E2B33FC-1018-4E99-B4C7-A1DF7726459B.jpeg
2C9EEC58-5BD0-47FB-AC14-E04235F4F024.jpeg

BILLYNY

Your tank isn’t really big enough to add a larger fish. You could do one of the dwarf angels, they get about 3 inches. I have a flame angel that is very colorful.

before you try any more fish I

before you try any more fish I’d work on getting your aquascape into more of a reef like environment, not meaning corals but a lot of rock work. Reef fish establish their territory in the rocks. Without an adequate number of caves and other hides holes they will get stressed especially as you add more fish.

here are some pics I’ve taken diving in the ocean that shows their natural environment as well as one of my tank. The goal is to emulate their environment as close as possible.

I would also taking the time now to set up a small quarantine tank so it is ready for your next addition. It just takes one sick fish to while out all the others. I always recommend 30 days of quarantine prior to adding the fish to the display, longer if the fish turns out to be sick.

View attachment 3880View attachment 3881View attachment 3882View attachment 3883View attachment 3884

View attachment 3880View attachment 3881View attachment 3882View attachment 3883View attachment 3884

’d work on getting your aquascape into more of a reef like environment, not meaning corals but a lot of rock work. Reef fish establish their territory in the rocks. Without an adequate number of caves and other hides holes they will get stressed especially as you add more fish.

BILLYNY

Sorry if there was a blank reply. The reply box wasn't showing up . Thank you very much for all the very useful info and pictures . I have a very good aquarium store owner who I usually will run everything by first but the suggestions of type fish will come in handy for me and also the info about the quarantine tank . You have a really nice looking set up . Great reef pictures . I will definitely work on your suggestion of more rocks for my tank not sure if I'm ready for the live coral stuff at this point but I'll talk to my Aquariam store guy and see what he can do for me . Thanks so much for the info and the reply .

lmforbis

Coral isn’t necessary for a reef structure. The fish don’t care about that. They just need the hides holes to move in and out of. It makes them feel secure.

BILLYNY

Coral isn’t necessary for a reef structure. The fish don’t care about that. They just need the hides holes to move in and out of. It makes them feel secure.
Oh ok i'll look into adding some more rock area then next time I get up to the Aquariam store thank you again for your help

3xplorer19

BillyNY...Queens in the house ... I’ll share you what I got...I got to NY Reef Aquatic and Kissena Aquarium for purchasing. Imforbis is definitely the person to go too. How’s your parameters holding? Also check my previous thread.i had to return swap some fish of mine. I had almost 15 at 1 point on my 24g now I’m down to 5 fishes but more on coral frags

Attachments

BILLYNY

BillyNY...Queens in the house ... I’ll share you what I got...I got to NY Reef Aquatic and Kissena Aquarium for purchasing. Imforbis is definitely the person to go too. How’s your parameters holding?
Also check my previous thread.i had to return swap some fish of mine. I had almost 15 at 1 point on my 24g now I’m down to 5 fishes but more on coral frags
My tanks doing real well. Just need to put some more rock in for hiding places
Hoping to be able to turn on the sterilizer by next Thursday as long as the nitrogen is good . I think I read your post about all those fish you had in the small tank . You may want to find a different person at your aquarium shop to talk to . It's crazy nobody told you that that would be way way too many fish for that size tank when you purchased them
Best of luck

3xplorer19

I did swap and return and credit and some was trade ... Not his fault he did that. I wasn't rifing enough...now I am rifing and able to decide what to do. My tank is now 2 months old and thriving ... Now just need patience and performing daily maintenance.

BILLYNY

I did swap and return and credit and some was trade ... Not his fault he did that. I wasn't rifing enough...now I am rifing and able to decide what to do. My tank is now 2 months old and thriving ... Now just need patience and performing daily maintenance.
Yeah you need to research and ask lots of questions ..you Can't go all in right away...have to have a lot of patience
Build it Fish Will come lol

Best of luck

Bella Smith

My tanks doing real well. Just need to put some more rock in for hiding places
Hoping to be able to turn on the sterilizer by next Thursday as long as the nitrogen is good . I think I read your post about all those fish you had in the small tank . You may want to find a different person at your aquarium shop to talk to . It's crazy nobody told you that that would be way way too many fish for that size tank when you purchased them
Best of luck
Do you know any trusted brand for hiding rock?

3xplorer19

Hi BillyNY: Unfortunately, i am not familiar with any trusted brand for rock hiding. In reference to the fishes, it was all a learning curve. Now I have a 40 gallon breeder and only have a few selected fishes in it. Pair of clown(1") & anthias (1"), midas blenny(1"), blue dragonet (1"), wrasse(1") & royal hippo (3/4"). I am very satisfied with my fish collections. I might get a copperband butterfly for aptasia and that would be it.

Attachments

Last edited: