Aggressive Clownfish

chpolack

After upgrading to a 55 gallon tank from a 14g biocube, I was told to "unlearn" everything about the behavior of fish. Basically, my LFS told me that with a tank this size, the previously aggressive clownfish would be much happier and would not bother its tankmates. In the biocube, the clownfish was responsible for the death of several fish by repeatedly attacking them (I'm guessing it was a territorial issue) including a green chromis. In the new tank, the clownfish has been getting along fine with 5 other fish. Just yesterday, I added 5 green chromis to the tank. Since then, the clownfish has been harassing and attacking the chormis, causing one of them (the smallest) to hide underneath the algae magnet in the corner of my tank. To save the lives of the new fish, I currently have the clownfish quarantined in a large net inside of the tank. What should I do now? Will a different clownfish not be as aggressive towards the chromises? Or should I just leave out a clownfish completely? Fish list:
- 1 Percula Clown:
~The Fish he gets along with with no problems:
- 2 Kaudern's cardinals
- 1 Firefish
- 1 Flame Hawkfish
- 1 Yellow Tang
~ The New Fish he attacks:
- 5 Green Chromises
I also have a shrimp, serpent star, royal urchin, and several corals.

deejeff442

so its your perc thats nasty? i have had alot of clowns over the years and never had a nasty perc.in fact almost all my clowns behaved.i have a 4 inch clarkii now that dont bother anything.i would see if the store will take it back .i would try another one .maybe your is bipolar?

btldreef

It does sound like you have an extra nasty little clown. That being said, clowns are still damsels, and damsels are aggressive. Chromis and damsels are known to not always get along. Your clown is attacking them because they're similar, unlike the other fish in your tank. If you can, I'd trade your clown in for a different one.