All lost in a week

Harrysreeftank

I have a 100 gal FOWLR and small clean up crew. I recently added a small polyps rock and with in 8 days the first fish died with no outwards signs. I then lost 1 a day till all 8 were dead. I assumed it was marine velvet or brook. The only sign was the day the fish died they stayed in a higher flow area, hence my thought velvet or brook. However at the same time I notice a small hard cased spiral 1 - 2 mm worm rapidly appearing all over the tank which would probably got in the gills when they are free swimming and to small to see. The irritation could cause the gills to fail from fishes body immune reaction. They have feather dust body sweeping the water.

What are they and could the bloom have caused the issue. I never had them in the tank till the polyp addition. If they are bad how do you eradicate them with out hurting the tank. As for the fish I'll go without for 7 or 8 weeks in case it was Velvet or Brook.

Tank has always had bi-weekly water changes and perimeters didn't change. Any ideas or thoughts

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
There are so many variables, it is difficult to speculate. I would monitor the tank for a while and see if you have this under control. I'm thinking it wasn't related to the worms.

lmforbis

Velvet yes. Current research on ich is 72 days. Brook I have no idea. Uronema doesn’t need a host.

Paulinthius

I have the same problem. I bought some clown fish and they died after 48 hours. I believe they had brook. So I let the tank sit for a while and today I bought some green chromis that are doing the same thing. I’m thinking about flushing my tank and starting all over. By flushing I don’t mean the fish I mean the water. I think that’ll be easier since I don’t have any fish.

Attachments

lmforbis

I have the same problem. I bought some clown fish and they died after 48 hours. I believe they had brook. So I let the tank sit for a while and today I bought some green chromis that are doing the same thing. I’m thinking about flushing my tank and starting all over. By flushing I don’t mean the fish I mean the water. I think that’ll be easier since I don’t have any fish.
This is why it is important to quarantine all new fish for at least 30 days of observation, more if they need treatment. Some people also QT coal and inverts. You also need to check the salinity in th bag the fish came in. Often they are in low salinity. Another reason for QT. You match the salinity of the QT to the bag then slowly, over several days, increase it to normal.

Removing all your water ont fix the issue of parasites. The parasites will be all over, including the rocks and equipment. It is necessary to just let the tank go fallow for a minimum of 6 weeks, more is better in my opinion, to let everything die off.