And you thought you had a bad tank day!

stanlalee

well 8am I accidently dropped the canopy door closed (homeade canopy. door just happens to be a 6ft slab of wood with panelling but still...) and all broke loose. Now unlike almost everybody else lucky enough to break a tank instead of breaking anywhere except the bottom where water and livestock can be saved salvaged only the bottom breaks out of mine (I guess a tank from 1989 wasn't that great of an idea after all).
I managed to save just about everything but one female anthias I found under a rock too late and a cleaner shrimp that found the same fate. A few branches off a few stony frags lost a branch or so. I could just buy a 125g and put it all back in but I am not motivated to do so. everything must go (more on that later. too tired now)/
anyway let the pics talk
wait there is no top or bottom anymore

nice hardwood floor is nice no more (could have been worse)

I believe those belong in the dining room
(yes I moved the tank, canopy and stand by myself. suprising what pissed off can do for you)

sump out back

more coming

stanlalee

live GLASS

live sand, cheato and piece of base rock saved (home in an old 10g)

couple buckets of liverock

equipment that soon must go

ballast (they must have known this happens the vents are made so water doesn't go in when falling from above

the important stuff next

stanlalee

the import stuff (livestock)
everything lives in a bin now

tired now. ever spent 8am til 4pm cleaning, mixing and moving sh*t. I have!

nigerbang

What a Diaster...Sorry that happened...I know it doesnt make you feel anybetter, but sorry anyways...

babyb

man that really sucks, sothe bottom broke out, i thought you were prety brave with no brace, i would have bet money on it that the sides would break befor the bottom would
sorry about the tank but atleast most of your livestock is alive and well

stanlalee

Originally Posted by BabyB
man that really sucks, sothe bottom broke out, i thought you were prety brave with no brace, i would have bet money on it that the sides would break befor the bottom would
sorry about the tank but atleast most of your livestock is alive and well
thats what I would have thought (and hoped) but I couldn't have good luck of course. Like I said though I didn't take the brace off or anything when this tank was made they didn't come with center braces. My wife hasn't actually killed me, I cant believe it.

maxalmon

Kinda sitting here in total shock as I'm looking at the pics. wow, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. At least you keept a little bit of humor with the "Live Glass" comment. I started laughing when I read it, then I felt bad...

stanlalee

thanks for the kind words. I really dont feel too bad anymore since most everything was salvaged (what I dont feel good about is knowing my hippo tang which I raised from tiny may end up in the wrong hands and dying after a couple yrs of ownership). the floor isn't even much worse than it already was thanks to a nice air draft and quick action. still too early to tell if its going to lift at the seems but its basically dry.
anyway the main concern is getting everything to a home/tank while its in good condition. If anybody's reading and local PM me. The fish will basically be free or dirt cheap due to inability to really gaurantee their condition after the trama. they eating and swimming as usual except the blenny which was fine until it got caught into the powerhead that killed two other fish. I found him fast so he might recover (not deformed or anything just having trouble swimming right initially). If anyone is interested in something shipped that will be down the road before I consider. will be too busy to do it right especially livestock. I wont be posting in the classifieds though. I'm hoping somebody will make a deal for the the whole damn bin contents (LOL like thats going to happen).
I'm still mixing water. got to move stuff around and make room for the skimmer in the bin. everything sure does look better from top down view!

kanicky

I am so, so sorry to hear about the disaster but I am really glad that you're making the best of it.
Like someone already said, "I don't want to imagine."
Of course your wife hasn't killed you! I'd say that you've been "punished" enough.
Wish I was close enough to help...
Good luck!

azfishgal

I can't even imagine what you must have been thinking when it first happened......well, I probably can....but not appropriate to speak that kind of language on this site.
I have a 125 and if I lived locally I would take that Hippo Tang for you, and whatever else I could help with. "Sorry" just doesn't seem to be good enough. I guess, the silver lining would be that you were there to save what you could. Coming home to something like that would just be indescribable. My worst nightmare!

.....there are just no words.

david24

I feel sick about what happened to you.
I went back and searched your old posts to see what this tank looked like before. It was a beautiful tank. Sorry to hear that your not going to rebuild.
Whenever someone gets out of the hobby it kind of makes think about what would happen to me in a similar situation. Makes that little voice inside my head ask, "How much do you really love this hobby?"
I wish I lived near you I would love to take everything that was in your tank.

psusocr1

i feel your pain.. i dropped a 15-20 pound rock onto the bare bottom of my 210 and cracked it.. i went throught he same stuff except i flooded my basement CARPET with about an inch of saltwater...Then shocked the heck out of myself walking barefoot through the water since i had a powerstrip wet, laying on the ground( not tank related) and it didnt hav a GFCI since it wasnt by the tank.. I didnt know how i ever cleaned it all and recovered but i did! by the way it was 2 a.m when id id this so i spent until 8 the next NIGHT cleanign as well... i definantly feel your pain!

addicted2

as I scrolled down through your pictures...all I can say is I am sorry you had to go through that...I cannot imagine. You had a beautiful tank. I think I can understand why you are feeling it's just best to get rid of it all now...maybe you will change your mind.
if not....like I said..I am sorry this happened to you.