Anemone not extending tips <pictures>

iconics

salt 1.025 ph 8.0 ammo 0 rite 0 rate 0 water perfect about 3 weeks ago the anemone got stuck in filter got him out but now he isnt extending the tips any reason why no rips or anything happen to him mouth closed sticking very good
25359845_1762155603824113_1494834559_n.jpg
25371372_1762156367157370_2082116945_o.jpg

iconics

Yescom 129 Multi-Color LED Aquarium Light Extendable Full Spectrum Lamp For 36"-43inches Fish Tank
Specifications:

- Fits for Aquarium Size: 36"- 43" Aquarium
- White LEDs: 110pcs (8000K,0.5W)
- Blue LEDs: 9pcs (460nm, 0.5W)
- Pink LEDs: 4pcs (465nm, 0.5W)
- Red LEDs: 4pcs (625nm, 0.5W)
- Green LEDs: 2pcs (500nm, 0.5W)
- Adaptor Power Input: 100-240V 4A
- Output: 12V 2.6A
- Size of One Extendable Bracket: 10-3/4"L x 4-1/4"W x 1"H
- Overall Size of Light: 36-1/2"L x 5"W x 1-1/4"H
- Wattage: 29.5W
- Energe Used: 64.5 watts

lmforbis

Looking at your picture, the anemone is very light in color and the tentacles are really stubby. That is typical of an anemone that is slowly starving because it isn’t getting enough light. the fixture you have is going to provide enough light to keep an anemone long term.

lmforbis

I was able to keep an anemone in a 40 gallon breeder with a Kessil 360we. The 40b is a fairly shallow tank and I had an area that was very high light that it settled into.

iconics

data.jpg
was thinking about making a T5 fixture setup get the fixture from like home depot and get some T5 lights from my LFS

Last edited:

lmforbis

You’d need at least 4 probably 6 T5s. They also need to be good quality bulbs, ATI or Geissmann. You will need better reflectors as well. The price will get pretty high. You might look on eBay for T5 fixtures. It will be cheaper in the long run. You’ll still need to upgrade the bulbs because the bulbs they come with are crap.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Agree about the lights and it may be suffering from hosting from the clownfish.

iconics

got 2 new Aquatop SkyLED 36 " Aquarium Light for Reef Tanks had a cheap one from amazon which i found out was for freshwater not saltwater got both for 55$ each ...
61wuUcPq9VL._SL1000_.jpg

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I can't find much info on the output of these lights, but I'm going to go out there and say they probably are not going to be good enough for an anemone. They seem to be recommended for zoos and such which do not have the level of photosynthesis dependency as anemones. Anemones require high output lighting and these don't appear to be. If you have confirmed info stating otherwise, then good. However, if not, if your local fish store has adequate high output lighting in their reef tanks, I'd recommend asking them to adopt your anemone otherwise he's likely not going to make it.

SWF.com sell this lighting and it is rated 10,000K.

See if your anemone will take food. Fresh quality raw shrimp, a piece the size of a pea. If it will take that wo regurgitating, then offer every 3 days. Must be FRESH and QUALITY.

2quills

If you use them in conjunction with the other fixture you might have enough. Otherwise, each of the fixtures you've shown here on their own won't cut it for anemones.