Anemone?

jasonj

A few weeks ago I purchased what my receipt said was a "Ripperi" anemone. I haven't been able to locate any information on it. It had a green foot pedal with long purple tentacles.
It lasted three weeks and then shriveled up and died. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this or any other anemones that are very resilient?
I'm looking for a new one for my percula clown. He doesn't seem the same without his anemone.

jasonj

Thanks for the information Reef Ranger. The anemone did seem to get settled in the tank. He didn't move around much, but I didn't have much luck feeding him.
Is it possible this anemone could have killed by flame angel if it accidently swam into the Ritteri at night?
How does the long tentacle do in a fish tank with live rock assuming I have the right kind of fish?

the rock

the rock says....
you sure it wasn't a purple foot with green tentacles?? ritteri is correct and most importantly what are your water conditions because they are easy to keep, also what lighting are you using? flame angel is not stupid enough to be killed by an anemone and if so you would have seen it being eaten by the anemone

jasonj

It definitely had a green foot with purple tentacles, so I'm guessing my lfs was correct about it being a "ritteri".
My water conditions were good. My tank is a fish tank with some live rock. The "ritteri" lasted about 3 weeks and then just turned to mush.
Any thoughts? What do you think of the sebae anemone? My percula died within 2 days of the anemone's death. I'm guessing the stress of losing the anemone probably contributed. I'd like to get another anemone and some more clowns, but I want to make sure all goes well this time.

the rock

the rock says...
what are you water conditions, lighting, and set up like? the clown likely died from the ammonia surge from the anemone death. there is some info on this site about compatibility between the clowns and the anemones

jasonj

There was no ammonia surge. I tested the water in the days after the anemone and the clown died. I suspect the clown died from "Brooklynella" due to stress brought on by the anemones death. Just a guess?
Do you think 2 x 30 watt fluorescents in a 30 gallon tank would be sufficient for a bubble tip anemone? The tank size won't allow for additional lights without a lot of difficulty. I've heard the bubble tip and the long tentacle don't require as much light.

the rock

the rock says....
you never answered what your water conditions are? ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, salinity, ph, temp

seamore

reef ranger is 100% correct
Originally posted by Reef Ranger:
that would be a ritteri anemone, not a rippri anemone. These are probably the most difficult anemone to maintain. Almost all clowns will jump into these guys, but their chances of survival are slim. They need tons of light to live, and will climb up anything to get to the best light. They will move about the tank non-stop, and have a very powerful sting. These also get very large if in the right envinroment, a few feet across. I would reccomend a long tentacle anemonie, they like percula clowns and are much more hardy.