Anonome threat

sea miss

After hurricane Matthew, I lost all of my fish with the exception of a long tenecle anonome, 2 clown fish and 2 Cardinals. The anonme has grown to about 8 inches and the clown fish are very protective of it. I know that clown fish are suppose to be very docile however, They nip and bite you if you have your hand in to clean the tank. The cardinals stay hidden most of the time. I have a 100 gallon tank and a lot of live rock. I am wanting to add new fish to my tank, however, I am worried about the size of the anonome and the 2 clown fish. Any suggestions?

2quills

I would stay away from adding any more clowns. Other than that you're probably good to add just about any thing that won't outgrow the tank size.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
After hurricane Matthew, I lost all of my fish with the exception of a long tenecle anonome, 2 clown fish and 2 Cardinals. The anonme has grown to about 8 inches and the clown fish are very protective of it. I know that clown fish are suppose to be very docile however, They nip and bite you if you have your hand in to clean the tank. The cardinals stay hidden most of the time. I have a 100 gallon tank and a lot of live rock. I am wanting to add new fish to my tank, however, I am worried about the size of the anonome and the 2 clown fish. Any suggestions?
Believe me, clownfish are anything but docile. They are highly territorial and are not afraid to become aggressive with fish much larger than them. No more clowns for sure, but usually other fish will give clowns hosted by an anemone wide berth so you can try out some other new fish. Clowns hosting anemones will also usually not harass other fish unless they come within the vicinity of the anemone. Fish quickly learn to stay away. Quarantine first, however. You can't afford to introduce diseases in to a reef tank.