Another ID needed.

flricordia

Picke dthis up the other day at the LRS. It is semi-hard almost to the point that I would think it was calcarious, but don't really know. Any idea on what it is?

reefreak29

from what i can see it looks to be a bone thicket type algae but it needs to grow out alittle first to really tell

reefkprz

I'm in the same boat, I picked some of that up and for the life of me cannot find a positive ID, IMO it's most definatly calcerous, and delicious my scopus tang chowed on mine before I moved it out of my display tank.

flricordia

Found this info on what may be the type though it may be Galaxaura fastigiata found in Hawaii that I have. Definitely calcareous.
Aragonite calcification in the red alga Galaxaura oblongata (Ellis et Solander) Lamouroux (Chaetangiaceae, Nemaliales) from southern China, occurs at three sites in the cortex: (1) intercellular spaces (ICS); (2) the cell wall; and (3) the inner surface of the cortex. The ICS is the principal site of calcification and contains aragonite mainly in the form of equidimensional granules 1–2 μm in size, although needle-like crystals up to 3 μm in length are also present locally. Granules range from densely to loosely packed. A dense and even layer peripheral to the ICS is interpreted to represent calcification of the cell wall. Coarser radial clumps of elongate crystals, forming a thin discontinuous layer on the inner surface of the cortex, resemble a cement fringe facing into the medulla, but form during the life of the alga. Calcification in these specimens shows similarities, and differences, to both coralline red algae, in which calcification is limited to the cell wall, and halimedacean green algae in which it is limited to the ICS. Some members of the Palaeozoic family Moniliporellaceae show similarities in their skeletal organization to Galaxaura