Any tricks to get telemarketers to stop calling my BUSINESS?

I headed over to the donotcall.gov website, and it specifically says that the list is for personal numbers only. I'm just ready to pull my hair out, because every third call that comes to my shop is from someone selling something. If it's an actual person, I usually politely ask them not to call again.
This one particular company in Vegas called "Ocean Equity" must call three times a day. It's always a real person, and I always asked to please be taken off their list. Today, they call yet again and I get aggressive with the woman, and her reply is "we aren't doing anything illegal sir" and just hangs up the phone.
Is there ANYTHING I can do to get these people to stop calling, because a third of my phone bill is paying for this garbage. HELP!

meowzer

I happen to know you can use that for business.,.....I have...just dial the 800 # from that phone and enter the phone #'s u want blocked

reefraff

Air horn
I usually tell them to hang on a second and just set the phone down. It wont stop the calls but you'll feel better.

bionicarm

How to Complain

Filing a Do-Not-Call Complaint
In addition to complaints alleging violations of the national do-not-call list, you may also file a complaint against a telemarketer who is calling for a commercial purpose (e.g., not charitable organizations) IF:

• The telemarketer calls before 8 AM or after 9 PM; OR
    [*]
    The telemarketer leaves a message, but fails to leave a phone number that you can call to sign up for their company specific do-not-call list; OR
    [*]
    You receive a telemarketing call from a company that you have previously requested not call you; OR

[*]
    The telemarketing firm fails to identify itself; OR

• You receive a pre-recorded commercial message from someone with whom you do not have an established business relationship and to whom you have not given permission to call you.
    How to File a Complaint

• You can file a complaint by telephone to 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY, by fax to 1-866-418-0232, via our electronic complaint form, or mail. For the FCC to process your complaint you must either fill in the electronic form completely or otherwise indicate:

• your name and address;
    the home phone number where you received the solicitation;
    identification of the individual or company whose products or services were being advertised or sold, and any phone numbers included in the call;
    a description of the call;
    any phone number provided to allow you to “opt-out” of future calls;
    whether you or anyone else in your household gave the caller express prior permission to call;
    whether you have an EBR with the caller (specifically, whether you or anyone else in your household made any purchases of property, goods, or services from the company that called, or made any inquiry or filed an application with the company prior to receiving the call).
If mailing a complaint, send it to:
Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554
Consumer Private Right of Action

In addition to filing a complaint with the FCC, consumers may explore the possibility of filing an action in a state court.
For general information, you may contact the FCC’s Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau in the following ways:
Via Internet
Consumer Center, Voice: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) and
TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322)
For this or any other consumer publication in an alternative format (electronic ASCII text, Braille, large print, or audio) please write or call us at the address or phone number above, or send an email to FCC504@fcc.gov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/393051/any-tricks-to-get-telemarketers-to-stop-calling-my-business#post_3493805

How to Complain

Filing a Do-Not-Call Complaint
In addition to complaints alleging violations of the national do-not-call list, you may also file a complaint against a telemarketer who is calling for a commercial purpose (e.g., not charitable organizations) IF:

• The telemarketer calls before 8 AM or after 9 PM; OR
    [*]
    The telemarketer leaves a message, but fails to leave a phone number that you can call to sign up for their company specific do-not-call list; OR
    [*]
    You receive a telemarketing call from a company that you have previously requested not call you; OR

• The telemarketing firm fails to identify itself; OR

• You receive a pre-recorded commercial message from someone with whom you do not have an established business relationship and to whom you have not given permission to call you.
    How to File a Complaint

• You can file a complaint by telephone to 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY, by fax to 1-866-418-0232, via our electronic complaint form, or mail. For the FCC to process your complaint you must either fill in the electronic form completely or otherwise indicate:

• your name and address;
    the home phone number where you received the solicitation;
    identification of the individual or company whose products or services were being advertised or sold, and any phone numbers included in the call;
    a description of the call;
    any phone number provided to allow you to “opt-out” of future calls;
    whether you or anyone else in your household gave the caller express prior permission to call;
    whether you have an EBR with the caller (specifically, whether you or anyone else in your household made any purchases of property, goods, or services from the company that called, or made any inquiry or filed an application with the company prior to receiving the call).
If mailing a complaint, send it to:
Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554
Consumer Private Right of Action

In addition to filing a complaint with the FCC, consumers may explore the possibility of filing an action in a state court.
For general information, you may contact the FCC’s Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau in the following ways:
Via Internet
Consumer Center, Voice: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) and
TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322)
For this or any other consumer publication in an alternative format (electronic ASCII text, Braille, large print, or audio) please write or call us at the address or phone number above, or send an email to FCC504@fcc.gov.
Unfortunately you can only do those things if you are a personal or residential number. Businesses are AOL it seems...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid http:///t/393051/any-tricks-to-get-telemarketers-to-stop-calling-my-business#post_3493788
I headed over to the donotcall.gov website, and it specifically says that the list is for personal numbers only. I'm just ready to pull my hair out, because every third call that comes to my shop is from someone selling something. If it's an actual person, I usually politely ask them not to call again.
This one particular company in Vegas called "Ocean Equity" must call three times a day. It's always a real person, and I always asked to please be taken off their list. Today, they call yet again and I get aggressive with the woman, and her reply is "we aren't doing anything illegal sir" and just hangs up the phone.
Is there ANYTHING I can do to get these people to stop calling, because a third of my phone bill is paying for this garbage. HELP!
If you inform the person that you are paying for the incoming call, they usually remove you from the list in a hurry. Keep in mind the number was sold to them on a list, they go thru and use that list to make thier calls, and it takes 30 days for that list to run it's course before a new one is produced without your number on it. Many times the people you are dealing with keep selling your number to these companies....You are only removed from the list you asked to be removed from, another one submitted will have your number again. Find out who is selling your number and stop it at that point.
Oh and I would like to ad this:
I know they are annoying, but these callers are doing a job. They get a list, and are required to make the call to keep that job
. At least they are not on welfare sucking the life out of the taxpayers. These people have to make a sell by 30 seconds and if you waste their time just because you are annoyed...they get a write up...enough write ups and they get fired because they are not good enough to make them enough money, then they hire someone else. So you also don't do them any favors by being nice and just chatting with them either...just say not interested and hang up fast.
The person making the call is not the person who submitted your number, nor are they in charge of how often your name appears on their list. Have a little mercy, they are trying to make a living and not be a bum who lives off of the working people.
That's right...LOL...my son is a telemarketer. I hate those calls as well, but I do understand their position and it's not their fault...the horn in the ear is not a cool trick, it's just mean and cruel to a poor sap who can't get a better job.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/393051/any-tricks-to-get-telemarketers-to-stop-calling-my-business#post_3493810
If you inform the person that you are paying for the incoming call, they usually remove you from the list in a hurry. Keep in mind the number was sold to them on a list, they go thru and use that list to make thier calls, and it takes 30 days for that list to run it's course before a new one is produced without your number on it.
You can supposedly push 3 to get off the list. It never works for me.

darthtang aw

Yeah, I always try to convince them to buy my product or explain the law of immenent domain without stopping. each time they interupt, I explain another legal Constitutional law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/393051/any-tricks-to-get-telemarketers-to-stop-calling-my-business#post_3493989
Yeah, I always try to convince them to buy my product or explain the law of immenent domain without stopping. each time they interupt, I explain another legal Constitutional law.
That is quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen you type. And I will be using that starting next call! Thanks!
Darth (ain't bad ALL the time) Tang

darthtang aw

That is quite possibly the best thing I have ever seen you type.  And I will be using that starting next call!  Thanks!
Darth (ain't bad ALL the time) Tang
Darthtang 2012
Darth ( even liberals like me sometimes) Tang

ErikaIHT

If you are still being harassed by telemarketers, your best bet is to go to http://ihatetelemarketers.com/ and fill out the form to stop the calls.

geridoc

Try www.nomorobo.com. This is a site that won a government contest to develop a method to block robocalls, and it works. After you register with them incoming robocalls ring once on your phone, then are diverted to their servers. Very effective!