Anyone have experience with the sump not fitting through the front doors of the stand

diane4

Changing sump.....after the tank is up and running

[hr]
Question.
When I setup my 90 gallon overflow tank, I had to install my sump into the stand by lowering it from the top of the stand and lower it in. I could'nt just put it through the front doors of the tank stand because the black pine stand (48 L and 18 Deep has a section of wood between the 2 front doors and that prevents the sump from fitting through the front.
Now that I have learned a few things....or two in this hobby, I realize that I want to buy a better sump design and I will have to pull it out anyhow because my new protein skimmer is on it's way to me. I already know i can't pull out the sump and the clearance about the sump to the bottom of the fish tank is shallow, maybe about 4 inches of clearance.
My question is... does the peice of wood that devides the two front doors serve a functional purpose or is it just for cosmetics?
Because, if it is just for costmetics, then I could cut that peice of wood, then do my sump, skimmer and plumbing work and then just re-attached the peice of wood to the inside of one of the doors to maintain the cosmetic aspect.
Does anyone know? This is a pic of my sump situation. You will see the black peice of wood running vertically on the right side of the picture.
Any ideas? If it is only for deco, then I would be happy that I don't have to take down my whole system just to change a sump. Has anyone had experience with the sump not fitting through the front doors of the stand?

escape2thewater

I removed the center brace on the stand for my 100g tank with no problems. its footprint is 60x18 though. It was fine like that but when I upgraded to a 120g tank with the same footprint I reinforced the stand with a few more 2x4's while it was broken down. I know this doesnt really answer your question but hopefully it will help you decide what to do anyway.
Escape
:happyfish

escape2thewater

heres a pic with the brace removed. There is supposed to be a brace right in the center. The stand now has the 120g tank on it. 60x18x26.
Escape

diane4

Did you remove the brace, before or after the tank was setup. I have the tank up and running on the stand and my stand is made of the pine. What is yours made of?
My only interest in cutting the center brace is because I could then slide my sump in and out. What did you do?

escape2thewater

I did mine before the tank was set up. I think my stand is pine also. I did add a couple more 2x4s to the sides fopr support while I was in there though. I dont know if they are needed or not but I put them in there just for piece of mind if nothing else. Also I cut the floor out & installed a new one on the bottom of the stand for more room.
Escape

acrylic51

You could probably get away with removing the center brace while the tank is setup and running if you go about it like you would if you were removing a section of a load bearing wall in your home......With that being said you might want to cut 2 2x4's to fit snuggle under the rim of the stand out of the way to the sides of your center brace and wedge them into place (snuggly) this will support the weight when you would remove the center brace while you slide the new sump into place....HTH

diane4

I bought a new Oceanic tank stand for my 90 gallon fish only SW tank. The tank is 4 feet wide and 24 inches high and 18" deep.
Thank Tank stand has a real top to it, not just the border lip to sit the tank on and not a ridge or grove, it is a realy top.
Do I need to add a wood brace to it or do you think I am ok without it.
And if you make the supports inside, how do you do that?
Thanks.

squidd

You can remove the center support temporarly to remove/replace the sump...
Put it back in when done...
Brace the tank by placing a leg in the back of stand, a cross piece to carry weight and another leg further out, (so you have room to move sump)..2"x4"s
Kinda like this...

creative

Actually it depends on the type of tank. If it is a glass tank manufactured by one of the big guys: All Glass, Perfecto, ect you can remove the braceand not worry about it because they depend on end support only. If it is a custom glass or acrylic tank make sure to put it back right away as they depend on full support.
Todd

tierodking

I also had the same prob. w/ my sump not fittiing. I have a 120g tank and a pine stand. I cut a 2x4 just a hair bit taller than the opening. I used a hammer to tap out the center section and wedged the 2x4 in there for peace of mind. You don't really need it, but the center will "sag" 1/32 of an inch and make it near impossible to replace the center piece if you don't have some sort of support

dadummy

thanks for the post,
that is what I was afraid of when I set up my 90 gallon, not being able to remove the sump if something went wrong.
I researched sumps and refugiums for months, searching the web for diy refugiums and sumps.
I built one cheaper than anything I could buy and it fits my needs. I wish I still have all the links, like a dummy, I deleted them from favorites when I was done.
I went with acrylic, a sump and fuge both 20x15x15 ( biggest i could go and still fit through the doors) I then connected them with unions and bulkhead fittings. I can remove both of them without taking away from the integrity of the stand.

diane4

I called Oceanic and they said I shouldn't remove the center peice of wood.
Of course, that is a safe thing to say when your the vendor. They also said because this is a problem for reef and saltwater customers, they stopped making stands years ago that have the peice of wood between the front doors as support.
I never wound up trying to modify the Oceanic tank stand. I am just going to swap out the stand and will be getting one in with the big opening in the front. For me, I found this is a must to easily access your sump, change skimmers and all that jazz.

fixed

Originally Posted by diane4
I called Oceanic and they said I shouldn't remove the center peice of wood.
Of course, that is a safe thing to say when your the vendor. They also said because this is a problem for reef and saltwater customers, they stopped making stands years ago that have the peice of wood between the front doors as support.
I never wound up trying to modify the Oceanic tank stand. I am just going to swap out the stand and will be getting one in with the big opening in the front. For me, I found this is a must to easily access your sump, change skimmers and all that jazz.
I have a new 18"x72" Oceanic stand for my 150. Even with 4 doors, including two in the middle that open together with no center brace, the AllGlass Model 4 sump won't fit through the front, because I added a back to the cabinet for sound control, and there isn't enough room to swing out the sump. Just a heads-up on this possibility. With a 24" deep cabinet, though, or with no back and a few inches clearance behind the cabinet, it would not be a problem.