are bug bombs safe to use with aquariums?

cj7eagle

Can i do this safely, without hurting the tanks at all? Every day we seem to find one or two of these huge black spiders. Apparently cats dont eat spiders, so i need to try another route. My parents suggested using those bug bombs in each room of the house, but i am worried about the tanks. any ideas?

jmick

would you stay in the room when the bug bomb went off? I doubt it and I'd probably treat the tank the same way...i'd deal with couple of big spiders.

meleerock

i would imagine bug bombs would be lethal to a tank, especially in a room being bombed. With these things you are supposed to remove all pets and leave the house for a bit and whipe down all surfaces after use. I dont know if I would want all that going into my tank.

cj7eagle

I didnt explain that i would cover the tank. I know pets and people should be out of the house, but obviously i cant take my fish. I was just wondering that if covering the tank in plastic for two hours or so would be good enough, or is that still being too risky.
I cant imagine these things are not to be used by people with aquariums.

gasman4433

A friend of tried that in his house with a fresh water tank.He coverd the tank with plastic and he still lost his fish.I would not try it if I were you.Just my 2 cents.

cj7eagle

I found this information on Raid Fogger bug bomb...
1. Open cabinets, cupboards, drawers, closets, and doors in areas to be treated. Remove or cover exposed foods, dishes, utensils, food processing equipment, and surfaces. Remove pets and birds, cover and turn off fish aquariums before spraying. Turn off airflow systems in aquariums. Cover waxed wood floors, waxed furniture, and stereo with plastic dust covers in the immediate area surrounding the fogger. (Newspaper may be used.)
I guess i am more curious if anyone has done this without any problems.

scsinet

What I'd suggest is to get some long tubing. Place an airstone in the tank and run the tubing outside to a pump so the tank is being oxygenated with fresh air. (you may need a fairly large pump) Then cover the tank, shut down the main filtration and lighting.
That would be what I tried if I had no choice, but I certainly can't guarantee anything.

jmick

Originally Posted by cj7eagle
I found this information on Raid Fogger bug bomb...
1. Open cabinets, cupboards, drawers, closets, and doors in areas to be treated. Remove or cover exposed foods, dishes, utensils, food processing equipment, and surfaces. Remove pets and birds, cover and turn off fish aquariums before spraying. Turn off airflow systems in aquariums. Cover waxed wood floors, waxed furniture, and stereo with plastic dust covers in the immediate area surrounding the fogger. (Newspaper may be used.)
I guess i am more curious if anyone has done this without any problems.
Give it a try and let us know

cj7eagle

eh... sounds too risky really. I was hoping someone would say they did it with no problems. But it doesnt look like thats going to happen.
Thanks for the responses.

jmick

There might be some sort of traps for spiders? Thankfully, where I am we don't many large spiders and the dog usaully eats any sort of insect she comes across.

tne1cancme

Here in Oklahoma we deal with fiddle back spiders quite frequently. I buy a product called pest tab at the local farm and ranch store. mix it up in a pump up bug sprayer, cover your tanks and remove any other pets you can, we have two dogs, a cockatiel, a 29g freshwater and a 24g Aquapod. Spray the baseboards and under most furniture, then I go outside and spray around the windows and doorframes and foundation vents. A friend of mine that used to be with Terminix recommended this to me and tells me that when the spray dries it's safe for us and the pets but will keep the spiders down for about 3 months.
Good Luck
Tim

cj7eagle

Originally Posted by tne1cancme
Here in Oklahoma we deal with fiddle back spiders quite frequently. I buy a product called pest tab at the local farm and ranch store. mix it up in a pump up bug sprayer, cover your tanks and remove any other pets you can, we have two dogs, a cockatiel, a 29g freshwater and a 24g Aquapod. Spray the baseboards and under most furniture, then I go outside and spray around the windows and doorframes and foundation vents. A friend of mine that used to be with Terminix recommended this to me and tells me that when the spray dries it's safe for us and the pets but will keep the spiders down for about 3 months.
Good Luck
Tim
cool, thanks i will have to look into that.

tne1cancme

Glad I could help. I did forget to mention that I turn off my tanks while I'm spraying (about 10-15 minutes). Remember to wear rubber gloves and a mask.
Tim

lesleybird

Originally Posted by SCSInet
What I'd suggest is to get some long tubing. Place an airstone in the tank and run the tubing outside to a pump so the tank is being oxygenated with fresh air. (you may need a fairly large pump) Then cover the tank, shut down the main filtration and lighting.
That would be what I tried if I had no choice, but I certainly can't guarantee anything.
Don't listen to bad advice.....Don't use a bug bomb. Call an exterminator and let them spray the whole house with their small sprayer around all the cracks and baseboards. They can kill spiders like that without risking your tank. Tell them not to spray close to the tank within a few feet. Lesley

skipperdz

dont do it...next door neighbor had his house fumagated sp?...right after he bought a cuban hog....lets say hes now a little dee de dee! and healing back at the lfs.

snakeblitz33

When I first read this post, I thought it was a troll! lol.
No, I don't recommend doing that. I don't recommend smoking around your aquarium, lighting scented candles, bug spray, air sanitizers, air freshners, painting/fumes or even incense around your aquarium.

keri

yeah... The spiders won't kill you and are probably keeping down the rest of the bug population in your house. If it was me I wouldn't risk the tank.

dischirm

I will agree that it is a risk, But if your mom is gonna do it, then this is how you can prepare. It can be done. What you have to do is right before you set the bombs off, you need to turn of all your pumps. then you take plastic sheeting (thick) and duct tape it down all over the tank. Try to make it airtight as possible. leave and immediately after the time listed as safe to go back, go in and open doors and windows and clear out the air and uncover and start your pumps again.
GOOD LUCK. If you have any choice, I would say do NOT do it, but this is what you do if you have no choice.

Ms. Andy

Can i do this safely, without hurting the tanks at all? Every day we seem to find one or two of these huge black spiders. Apparently cats dont eat spiders, so i need to try another route. My parents suggested using those bug bombs in each room of the house, but i am worried about the tanks. any ideas?
Absolutely not. Move your tanks and fish outside for a few hours. That's what I do. They gotta b able to breathe. That's the only sure way for them to survive