Automatic Return Pump Shut Off/ Turn On

JH919

Hello All,
Anybody have or have an idea on how to shut off a return pump if the return chamber runs dry? (then turns on when filled). I have a standard AC pump. Thanks!

lmforbis

I would think you could put some kind of float switch into the return chamber and if the water level falls below the point you set it shuts down the pump. I've been looking at a skimmate container that does the opposite, where it shuts off the skimmer when the container is full.

JH919

If your concern is running the pump dry you're better off getting a ATO unit.
I have a Tunze ATO. My concern is what if the drain line get clogged? (thus no flow to the sump) and the return pump keeps running (draining the return chamber) and the pump keeps running. It would be nice to have the pump shut off at that point.

2quills

Some pumps have built in protection to shut themselves off if they run dry but not all. If a drain gets clogged you're better off letting it run dry vs flooding your house.

JH919

Some pumps have built in protection to shut themselves off if they run dry but not all. If a drain gets clogged you're better off letting it run dry vs flooding your house.
I think I have a decent pump (Sicce 3.0). Hopefully it has that feature.

2quills

Probably not.

In this case you have to be more careful. If the CPR loses siphon or becomes restricted your ATO will continue pumping water into the return until the reservoir is empty and that could cause a flood depending on how much water is in the reservoir.

beaslbob

IMHO sound like the best is some kind of float switch. One word of caution-- never put 120vac float switch in salt water. Use it with 5 volts DC to remotely fire a relay for the pump AC.

Last edited:

2quills

I'm using a water blaster pump that supposedly has internal overload protection to shut off if it over heats.

I would not be overly concerned about a internal pump over heating. As long as it sits level in the sump it will still be half submerged in water by the time it starts sucking too much air to pump water anymore. So it's less likely to over heat to the point of failure.

I let my pump run low like that once and just came home to a horrible sucking sound coming from the sump. The pump was no longer pumping water into the display but some water was still making it into the impeller and being half submerged it stayed cool enough to not even trip the built in over load protection.

lmforbis

I built in an emergency overflow that sits an inch or so above the water line.in my new build. If for any reason the the water in the tank rises it will drain down that pipe instead of all over my floor. In theory that should prevent the sump from going dry. I hope to never need it.

JH919

Probably not.

In this case you have to be more careful. If the CPR loses siphon or becomes restricted your ATO will continue pumping water into the return until the reservoir is empty and that could cause a flood depending on how much water is in the reservoir.
I hear ya 2quills, but I thought of that and placed the Tunze ATO float switch in the DT (the optical sensor in the return chamber). Smart eh? lol

Last edited:

2quills

Good thinking. If you can get to point where you run with a drilled tank that's really the safest option. Especially with back up drains incorporated. It's just a few less "what if's" to worry about. But glad to see you're staying ahead of the curve. Planning ahead gives you better odds.