Back to basics- 29g adventure

eric b 125

That's awesome to hear about the growth you're seeing in your corals with the new light. Really looking forward to pictures! What's your stocklist looking like? I only ask because our tanks are similar in more than one regard.

snakeblitz33

I'll try to get some pics up when I can. No promises. It's just easier to keep a tank journal on here without the pics, since I have to use photobucket as an intermediary.

snakeblitz33

Bang Guy, no, I've done a weekly test. I dosed on a Sunday and tested and dosed the next Sunday and found an 80ppm ca drop over 6.5 days. So I have been dosing around 20ppm Ca per day and its been level this past Sunday. I will be testing again this Sunday to be sure, as long as the corals are still looking good. Alkalinity apparently drops by about 4dKH per week, so I dose by under 1 dKH per day to make up for it. So far so good. I'll have to buy some more test kits soon.

Eric, I still just have two little fishies.. Both damsels. I'm considering pulling the damsels if I can catch them and replace them with a yellow goby and two perculas. I know, cliché, but I'm not that interested in fish.

eric b 125

How many corals do you have in there? I have 31 small colonies in my tank and weekly 10-15 gallon water changes are keeping my parameters within normal limits.

eric b 125

I know what you mean about the fish. I have a firefish and a bangaii cardinal...doesn't really get more basic than that, LOL.

snakeblitz33

Another water change scheduled for tomorrow.

Seeing growth on some frags that were damaged from neglect. I'm happy with the progress I am making.

---

I decided to start a taxidermy studio to do extra side work. Gonna be mounting..... Drum roll.... Fish. :)

snakeblitz33

So since I don't have a director for the Hydra light, I've been leaving the lights on at 40% for about 16 hours per day. There is a little algae starting to develop. Maybe one day soon I will get it, but for now I'm working on another project.

Another water change scheduled for this evening. The water changes are probably keeping the hair algae at bay. The reef crystals is still not keeping up with calcium and alkalinity demand, so I've been adding some to the tank every other day to keep things balanced.

Anyways, that's all for now.

snakeblitz33

Calcium had somehow dropped to 360ppm and alkalinity to 6dkh, despite weekly additions. Added calcium and alkalinity respective to one another and added some magnesium as well. Since both calcium and alkalinity were low, I figured magnesium wasn't that far off from normal.

I'm getting some growth in the sps, but if I could ever figure out the calcium and alkalinity weekly demand, they would grow much faster. I'll try to get a handle on it this week.