Beginner's 12 Step Program

wolfy467

Hi I am 13 years old and am fascinted by the saltwater world, I would like to get a saltwater aquarium but I dont have a bunch of money to spend. I was wondering how much just a 30 gallon coral tank with some starfish and crabs etc. would cost?? I could use much advise on the cost. I have a freshwater aquarium with a cichlid in it and am very intelligant about the freshwater, but freshawater just isnt enough for me anymore. Anyways I could use much advise.

tluvst

I new to saltwater tanks. I decided to start with a 10 gallon just to get started. Now I am learning that a 10 gallon is not a good choice.
I have 2 pounds of live rock and live sand (HOB) filter, power head, small wt heater. I spend the most on my lights. I trying to do a FWLR. I have a 55 gallon waiting to set up. I also have Algea all over my live rock.
How do I get rid of Algea (already have my lights on a timer for 6hrs)
Snails keep dying. (my water tested fine) I do water changes.
When should I see life from my live rock???
I set up my tank 12/24/07
Any advice would be great
Thank you.

litoallie

Originally Posted by TluvsT
http:///forum/post/2579864
I new to saltwater tanks. I decided to start with a 10 gallon just to get started. Now I am learning that a 10 gallon is not a good choice.
I have 2 pounds of live rock and live sand (HOB) filter, power head, small wt heater. I spend the most on my lights. I trying to do a FWLR. I have a 55 gallon waiting to set up. I also have Algea all over my live rock.
How do I get rid of Algea (already have my lights on a timer for 6hrs)
Snails keep dying. (my water tested fine) I do water changes.
When should I see life from my live rock???
I set up my tank 12/24/07
Any advice would be great
Thank you.
I have a 55... eventually if you want to do fishes like tangs and stuff... a 55 is way too small.. which is why I want to upgrade...

mboswell1982

WOW!! lol thanks man, that is an absolute ton of info to process in my befuddled brain, but thanks, a lot, cause i know long it takes to write up stuff like that, having worked on other really long forums posts when i played world of warcrack lol, but that post u just did is downright awesome, and you have my undying gratitude for all of the great advice, thanks man

aaronc0311

Thanks for taking the time to write all that!! I have been keeping freshwater tanks for a while and have recently decided to try my hand at a 10gal. saltwater tank. Like most beginners, I have some questions. I know... Even after reading all that I have questions. But you cant be to careful.
1. I am using a 10gal HOB filter and a 20gal. HOB filter both with filter pads and the 20gal has 2 small biomax packets in it, and a rio nano skimmer. I also have about 12lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand in it. Is this ok? Will the filters and nano skimmer create enough water movement?
2. The tank has been running with the live sand for about 2 weeks now and live rock for the last week. Should I be getting any skimmate, or is the bioload to low because I have no fish yet? Should I even be running the skimmer yet? I have heard yes and no. One told me that "until the tank has cycled you don't need to run the skimmer". Is that true?
I plan on letting it cycle for over a month before I even think about adding any livestock. Learned my lesson with the freshwater tanks. Just need a little more info. Any about the above aforementioned would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

mboswell1982

aaron, your honestly better off posting in the new hobbyists section, but starting a new thread instead of this one, JMO, cause people are much more likely to read it and then reply on there than on this one :p

oceandude

What a great thread! My hat is off to the author for taking the time to share such valuable info and in such detail. I don't think I would have the patience to do so.
Go Heels...

reefkprz

can a moderator PLEASE change the spelling of advise in the title to ADVICE it makes the site look less intellegent to have the first sticky in the forum with a typo that no one will fix (feel free to delete this post when you fix the title)
I understand typos happen (I make dozens of them all the time) but not fixing that makes the entire forum look lazy. I'm sorry this has been bugging me for months.