Best lighting for FOWLR

Salt Lifer

I have had a 72gal (48") bow front FOWLR for about 4 years. Have been using the same fluorescent light that came with it. I don't have any big plans to add corals but have been considering getting an LED light to reduce algae growth and also like the "moonlight" feature. I have been looking at the coralife LED aqualight vs. aquatic life edge. I don't want to spend $$$$ but think its time for an upgrade. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:

one-fish

I just purchase a Current orbit marine LED I like it. Not saying buy this but give it a look, found it on Amazon for a reasonable $$ and has the features you described above......just my 02.

lmforbis

If you have no plans for coral, any light for marine tanks will do. I've used the black boxes from eBay, a marineland reef light, neither was expensive and have a better look than standard Flourescent bulb. I prefer the shimmer you get from LEDs to flourescent but you could just replace your bulbs with bulbs ment for marine tanks. If it wears me I'd be looking for lights where you have control over the color and intensity. It is all about how the lighting looks to you when on. I have a reef so I use better lights. The specific ones I chose was based on how my tank looks with them.

Salt Lifer

Those of you with the orbit marine, how big is your tank? Do you need more than one light? I read some reviews indicating I would probably need more than one to get good coverage. I know the wattage doesn't really matter since I don't have corals but got the impression it may be a little on the dim side with just one light.