Best macro algea to lower nitrates

soccerbo24

I put a refugium in my sump with dry reef sand about 3 inches then I added a lamp clip and a 5000k bulb and ran it reverse to my lighting, added a ball of cheato algea and it all fell apart and had a little pieces all over my sump on return pump floating in my tank and I couldn't keep it together what is another type of macro algea I can keep that will lower my nitrates and not invade

deton8it

I don't know what to tell you. I am anti Caulerpa because it is invasive and can go asexual. I am pro Chaeto because it doesn't do that. I know there are a lot of other options out there. I just don't know what they are called. I used to have some pretty red leafy stuff mixed in with my Chaeto. Occasionally I would break a piece off and toss it in the display tank. My tangs loved it.

John

bang guy

Add 2" of real lice sand to your refugium and it will handle a LOT of Nitrate. Unfortunately it won't do much for Phosphate which is the real hidden benefit of using algae.

Look up algae scrubber - it doesn't use macro algae and it's not pretty but it provides all the benefits of macroalgae without the downsides.

That said, Caulerpa racemosa would be the winner IMO of algae other than Chaeto.

silverado61

If you build the algae scrubber right you won't see any of the uglymess until you have to clean it. And it'll give copepods a place to live, breed and eat.
Just a thought.

flower

I don't know what to tell you. I am anti Caulerpa because it is invasive and can go asexual. I am pro Chaeto because it doesn't do that. I know there are a lot of other options out there. I just don't know what they are called. I used to have some pretty red leafy stuff mixed in with my Chaeto. Occasionally I would break a piece off and toss it in the display tank. My tangs loved it.

John

Hi,

Caulerpa prolifera, I have had this macro for over 5 years and leaves may turn white if it isn't harvested well, but it has never gone sexual. The grape and feather caulerpa however is known for it. That being said...Soccerbo, the prolifera would do well in a refugium, I had cheato fall apart on me as well, I was later told that's how it goes sexual.