Best powerhead for 30 gal

ucdpike2001

2 x 230GPH sounds like a lot of movement doesnt it, i was thinking about 2 x Maxi 600. What does anyone else think?

flatzboy

Originally posted by ucdpike2001
2 x 230GPH sounds like a lot of movement doesnt it, i was thinking about 2 x Maxi 600. What does anyone else think?

No not at all 2 maxi-jet 900 would give him 15 times tank turn over rate which is good flow for lps and soft coral.

robchuck

Another vote from me for a pair of MJ 900's. They put out a decent amount of flow and are very efficient.
Another option would be a pair of Seio 620's. I don't have any experience with these powerheads, but there is quite a bit posted about these througout the message board.

T

thomas712

Depends on what other filtration you have. Lets say you have a double cartridge whisper or penquin filter on the back, live sand and live rock.
Example:
Lets say you put a Penguin 330 rated for 30-60 gallon tanks.
This puts out 330gph add two MJ 600's @ 160 gph/per
This would give you 650 gph divided by your 30 gallon tank = 21.6666 gph, a bit to fast IMO, others might not think so. Remember if it is a reef tank then you would not actually have 30 gallons of water either. So it all depends on what other (if any) forms of mechanical filters you use. I assume that most of us want to run carbon once in a while, thus my example has a saddle or power filter in the equation.
Let us know what you were thinking about in regards to filtration.
Thomas

g8er_h8er

I think you would be fine with on Maxi 900 and a decent powerfilter depending upon whether or not you want to run a filter.
I have a 36 bow with a Maxi 900 and Aquaclear 200, and it provides quite a bit of circulation. IMO two maxi 900's would make the water a little two turbulent in a 30.

T

thomas712

10x to 15x the water volumn. So in a 30 you would want 300 to 450 gph.