Bigger Tank

veskas

We want to move up from a 55 gal FO set-up to a 150-180 gal FO/mini reef. How do you make the switch? i.e. when can you move your fish, inverts, coral, etc. to the new tank & how do you keep a tank that size mobile so that you can "wheel" it in the place of the old tank? Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I need this to go right! Do you siphon most of your old water into the new tank at the last minute?

krazzydart

depending on what you allready have and what type of equipment you got... I would first drop the level in the 55 gal first then move it on the side then get the other tank set up then start the cycle system all over ( it should only take about a week if you put some freash squeezings in it <fish poo

seamore

Veskas, would like to share my experience. Ever had a trate prob? I do. Wet/dry, and all that, well, as it turns out without significant liverock, and I mean alot, u will. there is a way aroung it. ever seen a hammer coral. yes, they are hard to keep, well, i saw one in a tank that was over 8 years old, 2 ft across. What did they do?What i wis i had in the beginning, simply create a "dead zone in the base of the tank". This promotes tons of anaerobic bacteria, which eat trates. It cost me 20 bucks to convert a 55, simple, a hardware store has all u need. its simple, all u need is 1" pvc, that plastic lighting stuff(looks like a small grid), and put screen over it. then, you simply put 4in of gravel, a layer of sand between, on top. This creates all u need with good flow.Remember that huge hammer i told you about, THERE IS NO WET DRY, just a blank sump for water addition and a good protein skimmer. I could not believe it, they had essentially recreated the ocean. They even had acrupora!! drop me a line if any questions, id rather save a life: eisenbahn@mindspring.com