Biocube Mods, a must read post for all Nano-ers!

nano reefer

alright, where to begin... it's a lot of stuff, but you definitely should read it. this is not junk.
well, i first came up with these ideas after i noticed some problems with the filtration system in my BC 14. after a full day's research i came up with some very helpfull mods, which i will have finished in a couple days. here you go. All of these modifications work for all the BC mods!
1.with a maxi jet 1200 in the filtration system, having too many pads/filtration media will result in water being pumped out too fast. So, i could A) take out all my filtration media and let my nitrates sky-rocket, or B) get water to flow in faster. This can be easily done by getting a dremmel drill and widening the gap from chamber 1 to chamber 2 by .5 to 1 inch. It will increase flow into the chamber, and lower the water level in the Display by about .25 of an inch.
2. A very simple mod that is very beneficial to the tank. B taking out the filter cartridge entirely, you have made an instant and free surface skimmer. This will eliminate dust/other particles from sitting on the water surface. The only problem is that if you had any pads fit into the cartridge you need to fit it into chamber 2, which leads to the next mod...
3. In chamber 2, most people will have some filter floss/other pad right on top of a trickle tray. The one problem with this is that it just flows through the back left corner of the pad, which is not what you want. You need some way to get the pad lower, but still hold it in place. This can be done by getting some egg crate and modifying it, forming a drip tray with arms to latch on to the 2 notches. Now, you will have a trickle tray that is lowered down, and you can put in your floss/pad in it. With the pad lowered, the water will hit and disperse, allowing the water to flow through the entire pad. Egg crate makes a good drip tray because of how big the holes are, so it wont restrict flow.
4. This is a very common mod, but can now be done very easily, the refugium mod. If you you are on a very tight budget, you can get a razor blade, make a 1 inch cut on the back, and peel off the black vinyl, which will create a window. Then get a small fluorescent light fixture/strong LED fixture, and mount it on the back using some Velcro. If for some reason, you cant peel off the vinyl, there is a solution, at a slightly higher cost. Go to home-depot or Lowes, and you will find a 10 watt submersible bulb. Just plug it in on the same timer as your lights, and you have a $13 refugium for a BC 14. Then of course you need some chaeto...
5. Now, everyone has at least some kind of chemical filtration media in their tank these days. Be it purigen, phosguard, roaphos, chemi pure, or carbon we all have some. Putting it in the little baggy can be ver ineffective if you place it in chamber 1 or 3. so you need to put in chamber 2. to prevent it from being pulled into chamber 3, you need something to stop it that wont reduce flow rate. The miracle solution? egg crate. Just custom cut a piece that will fit right in, cut it the same size as the original strainer. now you have a strainer that wont restrict flow, and hold your chemical filter media in place.
6. Now chamber 3. I have a maxi jet 1200 in mine. all the maxi jets are the same size, and we all know that it is a little big. This can be fixed by placing it at a 45 degree angle, so the intake nozzle is point up and to the right, and the output nozzle is up and to the left. it fits very low down, which is good so you don't have to fill it with water every day.
7. Want a little more GPH from you pump? Want to extend it's life a little bit? then get rid of that 90 degree elbow! 90 degree elbows decrease the water pressure by 5%-15% and wear out your pump faster than if it is off. get some tubing thats long enough and put it on the return line, so you don't need that 90 degree elbow. Very simple/very useful mod.
thats about it, i have attached a planned picture of all the mods if you need visual assistance. I am going to Home Depot either tomorrow or the next day to pickup my supplies. I hope you enjoyed! remember, i did not create these mods (except for the egg crate drip tray mod), and i found most of the mods on nano-reef.com and brought them all together to share. please post your questions if you have any.

cowfishrule

sounds like too much work.
i have having lots of success, and i have kept my tank stock.
my carbon is lying on top of my bio balls, and i yanked out that oceaning carbon cartidge and use a cut strip of blue filter floss for my mechanical.

oceana

although they mods are good and will help some people they are not needed that for sure. like said above a stock tank can have great success if proper care is taken. i have a bone stock tank otehr then adding a few nano power heads in the back and i have NEVER had any sort of problem. most of the problems people have with nanos have nothing to do with the tank itself

nano reefer

well, you dont have to use all of them. if people had a problem they wanted to fix, the solutions were made here. I am doing all of them myself, but if someone only does one of the mods, i will be happy.

sazarac

I've got my heater in the 1st chamber alone with the skimmer.
I haven't needed to widen the gap.
I've got chemi-pure in the bottom of the 2nd chamber. I removed the false bottom from the 2nd chamber and I'm using that INstead of the trickle tray with filter floss. It fits better with the tubing from an airstone also in that chamber. I've got plans to turn the 2nd into a 'fuge as well. Just need to decide on a light.
I also bought a MJ 1200 for the 3rd chamber, I just haven't put it in yet. I already have a hydorflo, and my new koralia is on the way.
Down the way I plan on doing a light upgrade. The biocube is fantastic for modding. I love it!
Saz

sazarac

True. All mods should be done with caution, but the ones outlined are for the most part fairly error proof. And as was mentioned, most people don't NEED any mods done to their tanks. However, the biocube is darn nice in that it lends itself well to to them.
Saz
Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
http:///forum/post/2599648
the probelm i have with most mods is that they are permanent.
not much room for error correction.