bloated lionfish

antwon

so i recently bought a baby volitans lionfish and he has been doing well except that he hasn't eaten. ive tried silversides, krill, porgy, mysis, brine, and even a goldfish once. so to make a long story short, he ate a ghost shrimp when i wasn't home and now his stomach is HUGE and he looks bloated. i can see the shrimp sort of and it looks like he ate it laterally if you know what i mean it looks like folded in his stomach and the antennae are sticking out of his mouth. should i be concerned about this at all?

S

saxman

i wouldn't worry too much about it, but i WOULD feed the fish smaller food items. if you can't find small ghosties, then i'd put the fish onto baby guppies or mollies. when you go to buy feeders, you can request smaller critters, and most places have no problem catching them for you. don't feed the fish for a couple of days to give it time to digest the ghostie, and if it regurgitates the meal, don't worry. this is a sgn of it being WAY too much.
even our adult volitans (raised from a tiny juvie, BTW) prefers smaller pieces of food to larger ones, even tho it's perfectly capable of eating fairly large pieces. this is common among lions.
it's possible that you're trying to feed the fish items that are too large, which might be why it isn't eating for you, or it could be your technique. let the fish come to the food, rather than sticking it in its face. what you're trying to do here is get the fish to see, stalk , and capture the food whether it's alive or dead. once the fish gets it, it will simply come over to be fed.

antwon

thanks im just glad he finally he decided to eat it seems that everytime i buy a new fish there is a problem but i guess thats life lol