blue tang nipping on my clams

bullitr

i have this blue tang since its was an inche. i have it on my 225 cube for 2 years now its 5 inches its nipping on my clams . i have the clams for more than a year now i soon i i move it to 300 gallon 1 of my smallest clam died about 3 inches and i seen several times that my blue tang is nipping at my clams . is this unusual? and suggestion i have about 4 clams right now

nycbob

tangs will at time develop a taste for the clam mantle. once that happens, u will hv to choose between the two. i hv a salfin tang that did that after months of being decent. i chose the clam over the sailfin. any fish that has a nipping tendency or is a grazer is a threat to clams.

bullitr

i large derassa remain wide open but my crocea, maxima remain cautious if i see the blue tang nipping on the clams again, i will try to catch it !. i need a snorkelling gears

azfishgal

The blue tang better watch out. The clam might get sick of it and clamp down on the tangs nose. Who has that picture?

azfishgal

Originally Posted by bullitr
http:///forum/post/2744633
i remember that but i think it was a angel not a tang
It was a Blue Hippo Tang from what I remember. I remember having second thoughts about adding a clam because of seeing that picture as I didn't want my Blue Hippo Tang to meet the same fate. I still have yet to add a clam.

bullitr

Originally Posted by azfishgal
http:///forum/post/2744667
It was a Blue Hippo Tang from what I remember. I remember having second thoughts about adding a clam because of seeing that picture as I didn't want my Blue Hippo Tang to meet the same fate. I still have yet to add a clam.

it might be another picture i saw years ago

azfishgal

Originally Posted by bullitr
http:///forum/post/2744676
hows is your tank?
its been a while since i post here
If you are refering to mine it's doing ok, run into some white stuff growing on my rocks, haven't been able to figure it out. I did two 25 gallon water changes back to back and now I've added some Red Slime remover to see if it will work (I have red slime right now too, so if nothing else it will get rid of that). I'll do another water change in 48 hours. As you see in my Avatar my Hippo killed my Naso, so she's not exactly my favorite fish right now. Kind of makes me want to stick a clam in just to teach her a lesson.

michael1972

I had a Hippo Tang snack on a bubble coral it WAS the size of your fist closed up and notice i said was it is dead now "the bubble coral" and now they moved on to my zoos and hammer coral they are pigs i feed them a few times a day and they both are like they have never been fed b4. I thought it was my coral beauty until i saw them nip at it and it was not eating algie from it was snacking on it as i saw the flesh floating away and it go after it snack i almost broke my tank smacking the front of it for him to stop.
i thought i fed them enough i would put a strip up every day or even two times a day with flake food and frozen misses sp and even krill, sperlina and still they would snack on them.

azfishgal

My Hippo Tang is also a pig, big time! But I have yet to see her nip at any corals. I've had her for almost a year, but maybe when she becomes an adult she'll start snacking on the living. Oh, wait.....she already did that killing my Naso Tang.