Boiling water.

stig

I only have a small setup - most on this board would call me mad.
I want to be as careful as possible when doing partial water changes so I'm wondering if it is a good idea to boil the water that I'm going to put in. Obviously I will wait until the temperature has dropped before putting it in the tank. What kind of nasties will be removed by boiling the water?
Thanks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see much point to boiling water. The stuff in tap water, like clorine and minerals, doesn't boil away. Since you have a small set up, make life simplier for youself and happier and healthier for your fish. Go to the grocery store and purchase distilled water that is produced by reverse osmosis {RO}. This is the best water for the marine hobbiest and easily obtained and not costly [about .50cents a bottle] With this, you do not have to put anything in your water to remove any of the chemicals that comes in tap water. And, of course, do water changes with this water. If you are already set up, then just keep doing your water changes with this bottled water, eventually your tank will have RO water only.

krazzydart

I agree with Beth.... depends on how small your set up is and you could take a sample of your water right out of your faucet and bring it in for testing.Then you will know what you have.[