Breeding Clownfish

treybom

o man they look sooo awesome!!!!! congratulations! r u planning on selling those?? if soo im really interested in 1 black and white , email me at treybomb0033@yahoo.com if you plan on selling
once again congrats... it must feel great !!!

superhero

thats awesome oceana I love those little guys!!!!!!hahaha GREAT JOB

Also, by they way, around how many do u have now...?
Have u sold any yet?
How big are the oldest guys now???-

reefiness

do you need to feed a phyoplankton culture. if so what do you feed them.
also in the bottle you have CO2 running into it through the airlinr tubing im guessing. is there any way to culture them with out the CO2 because i dont have any CO2 tanks and dont know how to set them up like that.

oceana

Originally Posted by reefiness
do you need to feed a phyoplankton culture. if so what do you feed them.
also in the bottle you have CO2 running into it through the airlinr tubing im guessing. is there any way to culture them with out the CO2 because i dont have any CO2 tanks and dont know how to set them up like that.

yes you feed the phyto. the food of choice is one in yoru home all around you. LIGHT
and no thats not C02 it nothing but an air pump to keep it all moving.

oceana

since they sell nothing like this site i think i can post it. if not sorry to the mods and please delete. its florida aqua farms

crashedin0

wow if u dont mind asking how much did all this run u ?
i have some maroons that havnt pared up so to speak
but they dont fight anymore thier still little so i bet the one with a hole in his fin will become a her

and well if u dont mind how much or better yet
parts list maybe i can get the prices myself
1 tank for fry
1 tank to raise retro
1 tank for brine u said earlier?
2 liter bottles for green water
bubbles
heater
carful temp watching
i am thinking of picking up that book if i can ever find it
well if u anwser or not thank u i hav enjoy watching charlie grow
BTW my dogs name is charlie :cheer:

oceana

not really sure about total cost. i would guess around 500-600 rather cheap IMO. we did it for fun so never really kept track of the cost,

milomlo

Oceana,
I have a pair of clowns that I bought from a breeder like you. They are awesome! They have not spawned or anything yet. I have had them about 2 months and they were really small when I got them. I don't know how old they were.
My husband has been talking about breeding them (if they lay eggs of course). My question is do you have to make your own food and such or can you buy something they will eat? I have done absolutely NO research as I say my fish aren't near ready and this is just something my hubby has mentioned. But looking at your babies makes me wonder.
If I could buy their food what all would I need?

oceana

Originally Posted by milomlo
Oceana,
I have a pair of clowns that I bought from a breeder like you. They are awesome! They have not spawned or anything yet. I have had them about 2 months and they were really small when I got them. I don't know how old they were.
My husband has been talking about breeding them (if they lay eggs of course). My question is do you have to make your own food and such or can you buy something they will eat? I have done absolutely NO research as I say my fish aren't near ready and this is just something my hubby has mentioned. But looking at your babies makes me wonder.
If I could buy their food what all would I need?

all food requirments are gone over in the prior post of the tread.
you can buy certain food however its is much better health wise and cost wise to do it yourself

L

lockemup

When my clowns had eggs last time, nearly all the eggs hatched. The only thing as Bang will remember is I never had any rotifers or greenwater to bring the fry to a mature state, so they died off in about 4 days. This worked for me when transferring the eggs to the birthing tank though and I hope it helps you out. I set the tank up with a coarse airstone in one corner. The eggs were placed in an area out of the direct line of the bubbles, but under the surface spot where the bubbles were dissipating. Now, I coordinated a water change in my reef tank for the day I transferred the eggs to the birthing tank. I did so as soon as I saw that the eggs had eyes. The water I put in the birthing tank was the water I removed from the reef tank with 20% new saltwater. I used a 10 gallon tank so that was 8 gallons of reef tank water and 2 gallon of new saltwater. The babies were found swimming around the next day and the several more hatched that evening. Although they did not survive, this did work in getting them to hatch.
Now, I did remove the rock they were on and went from the one tank to the other without worrying about the fact they came out of the water... They still hatched. Currently my clowns have taken up the egg laying again but I am not going to try bringing up the fry for a while. I still need to learn a lot more about this whole feeding debacle.
I am really considering doing some serious breeding attempts with this pair because they appear to be a very good pair, but someone told me this type are difficult with success rate of rearing the fry. Here they are in action.
http://media.putfile.com/Clowns-Matining
Attachment 185025

clown123

oceana those guys are growing fast congrats mine are about to die bc i put my pair in my 55g and it got ick and i dont know how to cure them fast it stinks:(

L

lockemup

Hey Bang, or Oceana Can either of you send me a list of what I would need to start cultivating my own Rotifers and green water? That soda bottle setup looks awesome. I want to start getting a few things at a time so I can time a serious attempt at raising some of those future fry.
What do you think about the use of a piece of tile laying near an anemone as a place for the female to lay her eggs. That would make it much easier to remove it and put it in the nursery. Also, the last time I removed the eggs, I waited until I saw eyeballs and moved the rock. Is that a time for segregating the eggs?
roborob67@tampabay.rr.com

nytrillium

Very awesome thread... I just read the entire thing tonight. You have alot of patience...
Those little guys are really cute. I always loved clown fish and you have inspired me to get a pair and see if i can get the to grow up and mate.
About how many do you have right now, and how big are the oldest? I realize that you would normally wait 6 mos. to sell these, but if they are big enough would you consider selling a pair? And if you would rather not sell them right now could you recommend a place that sells mated pairs of clownfish? Either b/w, or true/false perc. Ive looked on the interweb but havent come up with much... one site sold some but they were like 200$ and they were fully grown. I would rather have juveniles that can grow to be a pair.
I currently have a 30 gal up for about 4 months now. 45 lbs live rock 40 lbs live sand. I have been able to keep all my levels under control since startup(0 amm, 0 nitrite, less than 10 nitrate (soon to be zero with my algae scrubber hopefully)). I am adding a 20 gal. refugium with another 30 lbs of rock and an algae scrubber. I would really like to try and breed a pair of these awesome fish. Do you think my 30 gal. is big enough for a pair of these with my LMB? Obviously i will have a separate hatch/grow out tank.
Input is appreciated.

bang guy

Originally Posted by lockemup
Hey Bang, or Oceana Can either of you send me a list of what I would need to start cultivating my own Rotifers and green water?
Get a copy of Clownfishes. This site still sells it.