bring on the rubber

has anyone seen the rubber replica (doesn't look like it's spelled right) anemones? i was looking at them the other day, any opinions on them?does anyone use/ have them?

nm reef

I've seen them...I'd think they would be like any other artificial plant/rock/decoration...over time they would become over grown in algae and need to be cleaned. I don't think they are a viable alternative to the real thing....but thats just my opinion.

ecook

They're so expensive that you could buy a REAL anemone for that price!
I would say you'd be better off to just buy a PC lighting upgrade, and save your thirty some bucks for a nice green BTA.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is this it? Maybe good for a QT. Amazing how fake marine life cost much more than the real thing??? :confused:

i was looking into a clownfish, and from what i've read anemones aren't good specimens b/c the high death rate and on a minimum wage budget better lights are basically out of the question.
NM i see your point about algea gathering i've seen some horrible things in just a fw tank(no light), i'd be afraid to think what would happen with the extra light of sw
the ones i saw came in a few different styles (long tentacle [Beth's pic], some other "anemone" with skinny string like tentacles, colony/ polyps, and a leather [toadstool?]???) and were only about $15 (haven't really looked into corals yet, but probably cheaper than most) so i figured they would be good to look into rather than spending at least $100 on lights for an anemone that would probably die.
so am i correct in saying go all the way or don't go at all?

ecook

Minimum wage doesn't mean anything. I've built a full clownfish farm on a minimum wage budget. (Rare pairs exclusively now...akindynos, chrystoperus, allardi, ect.)

well during school (after april) it has been min wage only on the weekends (about $50 every 2 weeks) while also saving for a car, buying necessary clothes, school supplies, etc, etc, etc, but as soon as i get a car then i can split the budget and really make my tank look nice. so it wasn't just min wage.

overanalyzer

if you want a fake anemone for a Q tank use brigthly colored zip ties bundled together. cheap and easy to do and you can get a package of orange or green or what not and give a clown in a QT someplace easy to hide!

gregvabch

that's a pretty good idea :D i bought a jar of assorted zip ties from home depot a while ago and they're all different sizes and neon colors. a lot cheaper than the anemone's in the pictures above!