Broken bones = cast...= no sleep

bill109

hello
well i have broken my ankle the oher day on saturday and tomrrow i am gtting a cast

well its official i cant sleep cus it hurts soo much. i can only sleep in pon eposition and it sux
so im asking is a cas t anymore comftorable? it cant touch ne thing when i move or it hurts.
ne one got ne experiece?
ne help would be great .. woudl ike to know f ill be able to sleep for the next month or so
thank you for your time
bill109

mimzy

A cast is going to hold everything in place...which can be a blessing and a curse.
With a cast on ur ankle dont have to worry about moving it around or smushing it under blankets (I've broken my ankle enough time to know that yes, even having a BLANKET on top of you can be exquisitely painful), or into the couch when u walk through your house.
Just keep in mind that the position they put your foot in might be a little painful at first, depending on how bad the break is. It will relax, just give it a few days. Casts are meant to help you - so if you're still in enough pain that you are loosing sleep by the 4th day, it's time to call ur doctor and have them reposition the cast.
This is a pretty rare issue though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Also, depending on the materials they use to cast your foot, u might end up being a little itchy. Keep some baby powder and a long-handled wooden spoon handy, as these 2things will help with any itching that may drive u insane. I say a wooden spoon b/c I know how desperate it feels not to be able to reach an itch, and people have resorted to rediculous means in order to alleviate this; a friend of mine once un-bent a wire hanger to scratch her foot and ended up slicing through her skin so badly that she bled through her cast and they had to cut her out of it and stitch her back together - which meant she couldn't get another cast for 2weeks b/c her sutures had to heal first. It was a MESS. If you're going to use something to scratch, please do it intelligently.
Casts are a hastle; but it's the best way to stabilize a break. Good luck, and do keep us posted.

teen

the cast is knida weird for the first few days. you get used to it though. the worst part is about 3 weeks in it starts to itch really bad. all day long i would shove pens or pencils in there to try and scratch.
i broke my arm snowboarding and it sucked when i got it off because my arm was sooo weak. took over a month for it to feel normal again.

bill109

Originally Posted by teen
the cast is knida weird for the first few days. you get used to it though. the worst part is about 3 weeks in it starts to itch really bad. all day long i would shove pens or pencils in there to try and scratch.
i broke my arm snowboarding and it sucked when i got it off because my arm was sooo weak. took over a month for it to feel normal again.
ueaj its an ankle not much to re gain for muscle but ill have to almost rehab it though so i can race in month..
btw can i shower with it?
i hope sooo
my cousin used to use a yard stick to itch lol so ill use tht
he had a cast almost past the kneee or maybe it w past.. a broken leg
do you think ill have to do a rehab thing for my ankle .. and how long if so
thank you all soooooo much for your time i REALLY appreciate beyond belief.. i thought no one would care.
thank you once again
wow i cant sleeeppp

-bill109

mimzy

Originally Posted by bill109
ueaj its an ankle not much to re gain for muscle but ill have to almost rehab it though so i can race in month..
btw can i shower with it?
i hope sooo
my cousin used to use a yard stick to itch lol so ill use tht
do you think ill have to do a rehab thing for my ankle .. and how long if so
You can shower with a cast, but your cast absolutely positively CANNOT GET WET.
you're going to have to shower with one leg out of the tub, and you'll have to cover it with a garbage bag that's taped onto the skin above your cast just for extra protection.
I found that taking a bath with a leg out was easier than showering.
only your doctor can tell you wether or not you'll need rehab and how long it will last; your doc is the only one familiar enough with the nature of your break to tell you that.
Having been through rehab myself, I must say, it's pretty awesome. You come out better than you started in most cases, so don't stress if you find out you have to go.
as for a yardstick, that is also a good idea - just make sure it doesn't have that metal edge on it!

jacknjill

i stilll remember last summer i was at the beach and there was this guy with a red cast on his arm. him and all his buddies were skim boarding and playing in the water the entire time. not once did he ever have a bag on his arm or even attempt to keep it dry. to this day that still puzzles me. i guess he just didnt care?

mimzy

Originally Posted by JacknJill
i stilll remember last summer i was at the beach and there was this guy with a red cast on his arm. him and all his buddies were skim boarding and playing in the water the entire time. not once did he ever have a bag on his arm or even attempt to keep it dry. to this day that still puzzles me. i guess he just didnt care?
it could have been one of the fiberglass casts, but you're still not supposed to get those saturated really..... :notsure:

bayside

i broke my arm my senior season during hockey season, showers are the worst which u will come to find even tho foot might be a bit diff but i dunno.
u will need 3 things hand which i found out. baby powder, wooden spoon or metal coat hanger, and a tin snips. the first 2 are for obvious reasons but i used the tin snips to cut down excess areas where the person puting on ur cast just kinda went nuts and didnt really need to go that high. so just use them to cut it down to where you feel comfortable and still provide enough support

alohami

I broke my ankle a few years back, and I definately felt much better with the cast on. In fact, I went back for x-rays one time and they removed the cast in order to take the x-ray and I just wanted it back on. It felt so weak and wobbly without it. The cast kind of became my "security blanket".
Showering wasn't too bad once I got a plastic chair and a handheld shower head. I would sit on the chair in the shower and put the cast out under the shower curtain and I rested it on a folding chair.
I know it's no fun, but you should be feeling better soon!

bill109

well not feeling ne better
my parents werent happy with me for the ness with the fish stuff down stairs cus there were abouy 20 gal of sw in bcket cus i had to move the fw upstairs downstairs into the 30 and use the 20 for a qt s i did tht today and nearly put my self on crutches for 6 months npot weeks, man it hurt when i thought i messd it up.. the doc saod
DONT PUT NE THING DOWN THT CAST!!
im lke yeah not happening.. im gonna use a yard stick without a metel tip.. why did he say this.. is it bad ill be careful. mqn wlking up and down stair SUXXXXX im soar after day 2
it does feel a litle better!
now to see if i can ge some sleep :joy:
-bil109