bryopsis removal with Kent Tech M

rickross23

What's the desired level for killing the bryopsis? 1600? 1800? What are the effects on fish, corals, inverts? I have spent hundreds on my livestock and corals. My favorite things are my clownfish and 3 anemones. Will the treatment affect the inverts, corals, fish, or anemones? Please tell me, since I really need to know.

novahobbies

1800 is good, raising it about 100 per day. You can go higher for a "quicker" fix, but it should die off at 1800.
You will have to watch your corals and inverts. I've done this and had an Acan colony die. Others have said their corals were fine, but delicate shrimps and starfish have died. Still others have said alles gut and the only thing they had kick the bucket was the bryopsis itself.
Short version: take this all with a grain of salt, watch your critters, and test that mag level DAILY while you're doing this.

spanko

My understanding here, and I have NOT done this treatment, is you need to raise the calcuim level 300 points above what your level is currently to start to see the dieoff. It is not the magnesium itself but some additive Kent uses that is the poison to the byropsis.