Calcium

N

ninjaskillzs

Would high calc levels cause corals to start to close up a bit more then usual? My 2 hammer head corals and hairy shroom are not expanding as much as usual and the shroom's "hairs" arent extending like they usually do... theres a rock of about 5 shrooms and the front one is the only 1 that doesnt look as vibrant as usual though.
Ph-8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-5
Ammonia-0
Calcium-510

N

ninjaskillzs

The alk is like 12 and the mag i dont have 40$ to buy a test kit for so i dont know :p

N

ninjaskillzs

i usually keep it at like 420-440 tops using kents liquid cal... did a water cahnge yesterday and just got around to testing my params.

rtspeed

no high calicum of that level will have little to no effect on the coral. I keep my lookdown tank at about 515. So you should be fine.

N

ninjaskillzs

alrighty.... btw, my one mushroom on a rock of 5-6 is curling up exposing the base and the white mouth has curly white strings next to it... not really long and wavy but in a big glob... anything wrong with it? ive had it about 2 weeks and it has started doing this in the past day and a half or so

rtspeed

its hard to say but if you could post a pic it would help, but just sounds like a small part of what i like to call cotton ball syndrome., i wouldn't worry about it.

N

ninjaskillzs

is a bit blurry of a pic.... only have my camera phone :p

N

ninjaskillzs

forgot to add that their all supposed to be the same shroom on that rock, in the background you can see what it used to look like, brown w/ green tentacles very poofy and about 1inch larger all around.

rtspeed

well that is ethier a pimple shroom or a ric hard to say but it is not the same, the other one's are fussy shrooms. Looks okay to me.

N

ninjaskillzs

lol thats the whole thing.... it WAS exactly the same, jsut a big ass rock of hairy shrooms. the problem is that the one you see is shriveling up and has white curly stuff around the mouth

mr_x

if it was your water parameters, all of those shrooms would be effected. is anything close enought o sting that mushroom?

N

ninjaskillzs

no there is nothing within about 6 or 7 inches of the shroom

m0nk

What else do you have in the tank? It could be chemical warfare... sometimes my LPS or SPS send out hormones that cause my rics to stay closed for a day or two, but after that they return to normal.
Btw, your dKH might be a little high for that calcium level, but I doubt that'll have this sort of affect.

N

ninjaskillzs

the rest of the tank is gsp, hammer coral, snails/hermits/clown

N

ninjaskillzs

Calc is back down to 430... yaay
And the shroom is dying a friend told me so woopee