can i get any info on valentini puffer?

scubadoo

A cut and paste...........author John Champlin
Small bodied Species:
Valentini puffer often called Saddled Toby or Black saddled sharpnose puffer. These puffers tend to be much taller bodied than the larger breeds, and are unable to inflate to the size of the ones stated above. Only reaching about 3-4 inches in length, they make an ideal puffer for tanks of smaller sizes. Easily able to live comfortably in a 40 gallon tank or larger. Almost all of the sharpnosed breeds of puffers rarely exceed 4 inches in length. The smaller breeds have every bit as much personality as the larger breeds, though they do tend to be a bit more skittish at first. But, once they become accustomed to their new surroundings, and used to you feeding them, they will be active and playful fish. The smaller Tobies all have similar personalities, and the same care and feeding tips apply to them, as do the larger breeds. The only difference in the smaller breeds is that the Valentini tend to be the worst fin-nipping breed I have seen. Hence the reason I choose them to describe. Known for their fin-nipping ways, I usually don't suggest having a Valentini puffer in with tankmates with any sort of long fins. Shorter finned fish, as well as ones that tend to stay at the bottom of the tank (such as Blennies) are highly recommended. These fish also will nibble at any sort of crustacean in their tank, no matter what the size. I have seen Saddled Tobies pester a much larger hermit crab continually, even seeing them bite the eyes off of them, before they were moved to a different tank. Also, I have seen them sample a few corals, but this is not a standard among the breed. Caution is suggested with this breed. Try adding corals slowly to the tank, and make sure that the puffer is well fed, and chances are low that it will damage the corals. Many of the other breeds of sharpnose have been in semi-reef tanks with no issues known. It's best not to mix sharpnose puffers, unless a large tank is given. They will compete over foods, and have the chance of nipping each other's fins.

promisetbg

I keep two sharpnose bluespot puffers in a 65 gal.Their tankmates are a sandhopper blenny.a tiger jawfish,and a freidmani psuedochromis.Noone nips anyone's fins.
Adding a clean-up crew was a bit of a challenge,but the crew actually 'learns' to stay hidden until it is safe to roam,usually at night while the puffers are asleep.They include a diadema urchin,two coral banded shrimp,some Mexican red-legged and electric blue hermits,an atlantic cucumber,a fighting conch,a keyhole limpet,some nassarius snails,some extra large turbos snails,a cerith,and some Mexican turbo type snails with spikey shells.You need to research how to feed and keep them.No copper can ever be used on a puffer.They are shy at first,often seeming to 'sulk' and lay on the bottom.
They need to be given either food that is shelled occasionally...like mussels,small clams,etc to wear down their ever growing beak.Or it can get to the point where they can't eat.Another thing I am trying is putting their food inside of a shell,that way they have to hit the shell to get the food,and this will help to also wear down the beak.
I have also been experimenting with a few corals in there for color.Something I would say to try with caution.The smaller of the two puffers is more inquisitive about "what comes from above"{must be food..LOL} so she is always checking out what I add.She tore up a frogspawn frag,but has left alone the shroom,zoos,hammer,candy canes and torch.Gorgonians must be 'sampled' for flavor I guess...

New pic of the tank

drea

my hawian puffer only ate snails..... left all the crabs alone... plus hermits seem to know when to hide when the puffer attacks

rberhow

Our valentini has not even looked at any of our clean up crew but they were all in the tank prior to adding him. Rumor has it, that if you add the inverts after the puffer they look at it as feeding time and not new pals to join them. The one thing I want to make sure you are aware of is their feeding requirements. All puffers require some kind of shelled food to keep their teeth wore down. Their teeth continue to grow during their lifetime and if they aren't wore down they will eventually grow to the point of not allowing the fish to eat. This can be achieved by providing raw shrimp with shells or anything else that has its shell. As for the fin nipping, I would have to say, our valentini is the most docile fish of the tank and we have a community tank. He has never even looked at nipping at anything. Good luck and enjoy if you get one, they are really cool fish. BTW, another word of caution, don't net your puffer. If they are removed from the water for any amount of time, they run the risk of inhaling air through their puffing mechanism and this can lead to their demise. How big of a tank do you have? What else is in the tank? Would love to hear what you decide.

stsweene

my buddy has only 1 eye, thrus maybe the reason he doesnt pick at any of my inverts. Ive seen him nip at asnail or 2 when really hungry.