Can you keep frogspawn and hammer next to each other

zippgirl

I know these two will damage and kill other corals, but I am assuming you can put them close together without them killing each other. I have a hammer and a frogspawn, and I would like to put them together. Will this be o.k. And thanks ahead of time for the advice and help. The LFS said they believe it should be ok because they are basiclly the same varietes, and they keep them close, but they are not there long enough to start growing and touching. Anybody keeping these so close they touch. I posted this in the reef section, but should have posted here, so I apologize to anyone who notices that I have posted this question in 2 sections.

maryg

If you have them right next to each other they will start stinging each other. Give yourself a few inches plus a little extra space for the sweeper tentacles that can come out.

bang guy

Euphyllia sp. typically can live peacefully next to each other. There are exceptions but it's uncommon. I've seen Hammer, Frogspawn, and Torch grafted together on a single coral head.

zippgirl

Thank you. I was hoping someone had either done this or seen it done. You answered my question Bang Guy.

petjunkie

I've had two different hammers and three different frogspawns all in a 10 gallon tank touching, it was easier to keep them all together in one tank than find room for all of them separately in my larger tank and this way I didn't have to worry about any corals getting hurt. I kept my torch apart though and then I killed it so I haven't tried with that kind yet and hear they are pickier about who they get along with.

afboundguy

I have a hammer and frogspawn next to each other with a little room but they touch every once and a while with no probs...

jerryatrick

For about 7 months I had all three (Frogspawn, Torch, Hammer) next to each other without any problems. All three were within striking distance. This past week I noticed some receding on my hammer which was touching my torch. The exact spot where the torch was touching the hammer is where I saw the receding. I found this a bit odd because the books that I have read have stated that of the three the torch is the least aggressive.

zippgirl

Thanks guys, it sounds like most of you agree the hammer and frogspawn would be ok, but a torch might be picky. If I get a torch I will keep it in a different location. Thanks again I appreciate the opinion from people who have done this or have seen it done.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by zippgirl
http:///forum/post/2991572
Thanks guys, it sounds like most of you agree the hammer and frogspawn would be ok, but a torch might be picky. If I get a torch I will keep it in a different location. Thanks again I appreciate the opinion from people who have done this or have seen it done.
I think my situation is rare as bang guy stated.