Candy cane coral wont grow? (pics included)

reef_dart21

Im stumped, i have had this coral for a year now and i can see no growth what so ever.
Any ideas y?
Before you suggest its my parameters they are at average with nitrates at 10 and calcium at 500

reef_dart21

I spot feed it Kent Marine Phytoplex, with eithier a disposable eye dropper or turkey baster. I had moved it about 3 months ago closer to the lights which it seems to like more

reef_dart21

I have mysis and cyclops, plus live brine which one will work the best?
And by letting it hang like a cliff, the coral will extend?

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Sir Mixxalot
http:///forum/post/3095890
the algae around it might be irritating it...
Im having an awfully hard time getting rid of this algea, its not normal its very hard and encrusts over everything
anyway to get rid of it?

elbow grease, phosban reactor with some ROWAphos, water changes, feeding less food, a couple hours less of light a day, and finally go buy a dozen turbo snails. while doing watercahnges scrub the algae off with a rock and syphon as much as u can out.any combo of three or more of these and u should have an algae free tank in a couple months

T

tizzo

Not sure about the algae without a better pic, but I have to agree with the above. Feed it! Meaty foods are best for LPS's. Try to feed at night when the feeder tenticles are out. If you don't see them, then shoot food at it, and recheck in a few minutes... If you still don't see them, post it and I'll walk you the next step.

reef_dart21

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/3097897
Not sure about the algae without a better pic, but I have to agree with the above. Feed it! Meaty foods are best for LPS's. Try to feed at night when the feeder tenticles are out. If you don't see them, then shoot food at it, and recheck in a few minutes... If you still don't see them, post it and I'll walk you the next step.

Bad news, i fed it at night and new feeder tentacle were or became present..
now what all mighty reefer

T

tizzo

Haha.

I have no idea what you said in your last post. Feeders did, or did not appear?

T

tizzo

Ok, I am officially deeming this a "rescue" mission.
And this is my favorite area of the hobby.

you need a small bowl, add tank water, put in your candy cane.
In another bowl you add 1/4 cup of tank water and a chunk of frozen cyclop eeze.
When the cyclops melts, take a medicine dosing syringe, suck up the cyclops and gently squirt some right in top of the candy cane. The mouth will open up and the food will fall in. Leave him be for about 10-15 minutes then put him back into the tank.
Put the cyclops mixture in the freezer to be microwaved and reused tomorrow...
I will post pics in a few.

T

tizzo

If you have another meaty food that will fit through the tip of the syringe, then by all means... But no flake or pellet.
Just FYI...
When a coral starts to become starved, you will see feeders, but they will not be at all sticky.
When it really gets bad, it stops extending the feeders at all, which is what yours has done. You are getting food into him and he will very quickly become healthy again. Within 2 weeks you should be able to feed him right in the tank without even turning off the powerheads! You can, and probably should, but you don't have to!
I would take him out and feed him this way, depending on your schedule, at least once an evening for 4 evenings... Or every other, for at least 4 feedings, then you can ignore him for a few days and soon you will see those feeders come out.

reefkprz

just an educated guess looking at the algal growth on the rocks and the general appearance of the tank. its probably not growing because your alkalinity is too low, in higher nutrient situations alkalinity tends to bottom out. also if your nutrients are high (with nitrates at 10 most being consumed by your algae growth) its a safe bet that your phophates are elevated as well wich also interferes with calcification and skeletal growth.
calaustrea furcata is a relativly slow grower to begin with, coupled with lowered alkalinity/possibly elevaterd phopshates, interferes with the calcification of the skeletal growth. while spot feeding may help some. my advice would be to get your water quality under controll.
99% of problems in marine tanks are water quality issues.