Candy Cane Issues

stdreb27

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2739459
im leaning away from PO4 being the problem, and much more towards the bacterial situation. if you have leathers that look fine, or SPS, then i wouldnt worry about that for now.
Well, the article I read, said, that some bacteria also feeds off of PO4.
Most of my sps look great, all my softies are thriving. Minus the xenia that I have halfway burried in the sand at the moment.
I really wish my qt tank had lights to sustain coral so I could qt it. But I only set it up for fish.

saltn00b

yea , my qts are not set for corals either so i would be in the same boat...
i didnt know that bacteria feeds of PO4, thats very interesting. all the more reason to get a kit to check it. do search for tropic marin, they have excellent, fast and affordable kits. i just reupped all of my tests from them.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by saltn00b
http:///forum/post/2739488
yea , my qts are not set for corals either so i would be in the same boat...
i didnt know that bacteria feeds of PO4, thats very interesting. all the more reason to get a kit to check it. do search for tropic marin, they have excellent, fast and affordable kits. i just reupped all of my tests from them.
I didn't see any advertising or anything on this site so I think it is safe to link to.
http://www.athiel.com/lib/bacterial.html

stdreb27

WOW well 4 hours after the dip, some of the heads look better, they are actively feeding. Something I haven't seen in a few days.
I dipped them again when I got home. I guess we'll see, if they don't get better when I come home I'll have a 50 dollar rock sitting in my fishtank.

stdreb27

I looked at it right before I left, I dunno if the second dip was a good idea. Some of the flesh seemed to be dissolving.
What does iodine poisoning look like?

stdreb27

Well, getting back more heads are gone. The other candy cane has some discoloration as well... I only ran the t-5's while I was gone, so I'm hoping it is from that....

saltn00b

damn. try breaking off all of the healthy ones and putting them elsewhere. maybe even remove the not healthy ones and put them in a QT

stdreb27

Well, my green slimer is bleaching a bit now too. But I can look at the bright side, my red ric split while I was gone!
I'm going to do a massive water change this evening. Dip everything not looking good again. I'm going to test the water, maybe with the lights out the ph dropped too much or something, stressing out the other corals... This is dumb.

ghola5

My candy cane just like yours did something like this a few months ago. I moved it around in the tank and I dont know if it was the flow or what but the few heads that died off have grown back already.

stdreb27

update, well I moved it lower, and in an area with more cleaner flow. It seems to have stabilized. However it is soo decimated, I can't really tell. I dipped the other one in iodine. And I don't see any attrition on those heads. I'm going to try and start spot feeding it again.
I did happen to knock down my rock structure, so I reorganized it, and moved the bleaching out green bali, and it has quickly recovered it looks normal now after a day!
The only problem now is my kenya tree is in an area where it won't be easy to control, so I'm going to have to restructure again...

stdreb27

I Moved this higher and it seems to be turning a cream color instead of the bleached white.

This is the candy cane now
It is pretty ravaged but I'm not seeing any more receding so I'm hoping it has turned the corner.

ibew41

do you have a phosban reactor? mine did the same thing when I adjusted the output to high on mine

ibew41

sorry if the media is mixed to fast in the reactor it will turn into a fine material that will go past the filter then into your tank

stdreb27

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/2752470
sorry if the media is mixed to fast in the reactor it will turn into a fine material that will go past the filter then into your tank
I don't have a reactor, so I'm trying to see how this could apply to me. Does the reactor remove phosphates less efficiently when adjusted too high? Or is the media in the reactor acting as an irritant? What in the media could be present in my tank introduced by other means?

stdreb27

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/2752575
the media can cause the problem do you use anything to remove phosphates?
Water changes. I dropped a polly filter pad in there, after this occurred. But I is still very white.

stdreb27

well, I've decided poly filters job is to take 10 dollars, and not much else, however I did buy some media that seems to have done the trick. I put it in the sump and my po4 has dropped to 0, and my candy cane is looking significantly better. Saltnoob I think your initial reaction was correct.