Chaeto & nitrate levels

salty blues

I have some chaeto in a basket inside a HOB power filter with a 6500k spiral fluorescent bulb directly over the filter. My nitrate levels stay between 0 to 5. The chaeto does not appear to grow at all. I am wondering if there is any point in having the chaeto in there.

florida joe

Originally Posted by salty blues
http:///forum/post/2631766
I have some chaeto in a basket inside a HOB power filter with a 6500k spiral fluorescent bulb directly over the filter. My nitrate levels stay between 0 to 5. The chaeto does not appear to grow at all. I am wondering if there is any point in having the chaeto in there.

My friend you are luckier then most just keep on trucking

salty blues

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2632265
My friend you are luckier then most just keep on trucking

So may I assume that if my bio load stays as is now(check profile), I likely will see no growth from the chaeto? I mean, the clump of chaeto I have seems to barely be surviving as is.

reefkprz

http:///forum/post/2631766

often when cheato appears to not be growing it is actually getting denser. once the clump reaches a density where the center cannot grow well it will begin to expand.

as for expecting one small clump of cheato to eliminate a testable amount of nitrates I think your expecting too much. you need a larger amount of growth to affect a testable amount of nitrates like a football sized clump for 20g with 5 nitrates....
yes the cheato IS consuming nitrates, and if its not dying it is growing, but a small HOB filters worth only has the capacity to consume a small amount. consider a bigger refugium for the stuff to grow in so you get a larger overall mass. also look into influx versus removal of nutrients even if your cheato is consuming 1 ppm a day if your adding 2 ppm it cant reduce it.

florida joe

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2632318
often when cheato appears to not be growing it is actually getting denser. once the clump reaches a density where the center cannot grow well it will begin to expand.

as for expecting one small clump of cheato to eliminate a testable amount of nitrates I think your expecting too much. you need a larger amount of growth to affect a testable amount of nitrates like a football sized clump for 20g with 5 nitrates....
yes the cheato IS consuming nitrates, and if its not dying it is growing, but a small HOB filters worth only has the capacity to consume a small amount. consider a bigger refugium for the stuff to grow in so you get a larger overall mass. also look into influx versus removal of nutrients even if your cheato is consuming 1 ppm a day if your adding 2 ppm it cant reduce it.

Reef the guys reading between 0 and 5 how much better does he want He is in the range where his color perception is a factor

salty blues

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2632349
Reef the guys reading between 0 and 5 how much better does he want He is in the range where his color perception is a factor
Exactly, Joe! I am using an API test, taking extra care to do the test properly and I get the lowest(yellow) result. So to give the benefit of a doubt, I am calling it 0 to 5. If that is in fact accurate, then I must be starving the chaeto.
Not complaining mind you, I'm just trying to determine if it's even worth it to use the chaeto. If the stuff was really growing crazy(instead of appearing to be dying), I would think that is the reason for the low 'trates. Instead, I think the chaeto is just starved for nutrients.
By the way joe, I love your avatar. It looks like a freaked out little Dracula/Eddie Munster thing!

florida joe

http:///forum/post/2632427
Exactly, Joe! I am using an API test, taking extra care to do the test properly and I get the lowest(yellow) result. So to give the benefit of a doubt, I am calling it 0 to 5. If that is in fact accurate, then I must be starving the chaeto.
Not complaining mind you, I'm just trying to determine if it's even worth it to use the chaeto. If the stuff was really growing crazy(instead of appearing to be dying), I would think that is the reason for the low 'trates. Instead, I think the chaeto is just starved for nutrients.
By the way joe, I love your avatar. It looks like a freaked out little Dracula/Eddie Munster thing!
Ok let me force myself into a moment of clarity (at this time of night, I am rather hydrated if you know what I mean) if your Cheato is green you are fine, you may have found that rare state of equilibrium where your nutrient input is being equalized by absorption or export. And that you are achieving by the sum of all its parts Cheato included IMO leave well enough alone just enjoy your tank As far as my avatar I was going for the Brad Pitt look

reefkprz

I would just have to add that if the cheato isnt dieing it is growing (reiterate would be a better term) in doing so not only does it consume some of your almost non existant nitrates, BUT help with influxes of phosphates as well, even a marginal amount of consumption is better than none, just about every thing organic can add phophates (foods etc.).
I would say if you dont like it yank it, if you do keep it....

prime311

I wouldn't trust an API kit. I had 2 and one said I had 10 Nitrate another like 15, but it was actually more like 40.

A

alexmir

I just added a baseball sized clump of chaeto with 3 mangroves into my new fuge. They have been in the for 5 days, and my nitrates have dropped from 15 to 0. I have been trying to get my nitrates to 0 for months, but have had trouble doing so, i think its because of my stupid canister filter.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2632752
BUT help with influxes of phosphates as well,
Reef, I just want to confirm that you're saying that chaeto helps with phosphate as well?
I'm having a cyano problem in a tank, and thinking of adding an in-tank fuge (Yes Joe, like yours, that's actually where I got the idea) to help combat it. But I haven't seen anything definitive saying chaeto was a phosphate devourer.

florida joe

iI can not speak for my freind Reef but Chaetomorpha Algae removes both phosphates and nitrates from the water. To increase the amount of nutrients this algae exports, use moderate to high lighting and keep it in an area of high water flow.

flricordia

Maybe try a different light. The spiral bulb may not be quite what your cheato is needing. I have always had best growth with a 50/50 PC over it. Also the flow rate may be too high running through the alga. A longer contact time is prefered. Also turn the cheato every couple days so the bottom gets light also.
The cheato I keep in my fuges grows fast and does its job wonderfully. I would never think of runnong a reef or even a FOWLR without it. Don't give up on it, try the mentioned fixes and replenish trace elements through water changes. I would suggest additives, but if you are still at the point in reefkeeping where you are having trouble growing cheato then additives are probably not for you at this point.
Small water changes (5%-10%) once or twice a week with a quality salt mix will help and will also help to reduce the nitrate levels, unless you are using a water source that has nitrates to begin with.