Change CC to LS procedure.

doodle1800

I'm going to change from CC to LS. Small tank - 10gal. Here's what I'm thinking on procedure.
Empty 2/3 tank water into a rubbermaid.
Take out LR.
Take all livestock out, put all in rubbermaid.
Empty rest of water.
Empty tank of CC. Clean inside of tank?
Fill with LS or new sand - not determined yet.
Pour back 5 gals of water.
Put LR, crabs, damsels back in.
Pour back 3 gals more.
Pour 2 gals new water...
Now I know there isn't 10 gals of water in it - roughly speaking.
Also - my hermits and emerald crab sift through the cc all the time looking for food. If I replace the cc with new sand, will they starve? Or do I just put enough food in there right away?
Anyone have a better idea?

P

pirate_bob

How long has your tank been setup? There is tons of bacteria in that CC that you need to change to the LS, you can't just do an immediate change without starting another cycle.
I believe the rubbermaid container would be fine to put your LR and livestock in while you make the change.
But cyphon all the CC into pantyhose... make small little bags that you can set around your tank...
put your cc in the bags...
then add your LS to the tank let settle..
then put your LR back the way you want it .
then put the bags where you have openings...
then put Livestock back in..
i would recommend keeping the bags in there for about two weeks to transfer the bacteria.....
remember this is my opinion.. ask around someone else might have a better idea.. this is what I did for my tank and everything went fine... but no two tanks are the same..

slick

I would do like you said you wanted to do. After your done test your water daily to make sure you don't have a spike in amn. Do small water changes to keep levels in check.

P

pirate_bob

Slick I may be wrong, but what about all the good bacteria in the CC?

slick

Yes there will be good bacteria in the cc. But there will also be good bacteria in the lr. No dought there will be a loss of bacteria if you take out the cc but I think as long as you keep water levels under control it should be fine. JMO :D