Chili & sun coral

tinatina5

This may be a stupid question but here goes. Do you have to put sun coral and chili corals under a ledge to keep the light off of them or doesn't it really matter?

kingsmith

Not sure but I am fairly sure I have seen peoples picks with sun corals on a frag rack right under the light but like I said I really don't know

N

nonphotosynt

In my case all sun corals were indifferent to light, even being nocturnal and being open for their best only at late evening. All chili were very photosensitive and closed in bright lights within minutes and being open in a dark tank most of the day.
I would keep chili out of bright light. If in cave - it have to have a good flow.
HTH

cranberry

I agree to keep th echili out of the light. We have one in our liverock tank which doesn't have a light on it. It it out fully at night and stays out particially during the day... more time to feed.
If your suncoral starts receeding, move it to the shade so nuisance algaes won't climb over the exposed skeleton. It's hard to get them to grow back over skeleton that has any type of algae on it.
And that little one in the pink animal costume.... TOO CUTE FOR WORDS!!!

N

nonphotosynt

Cranberry:
If I didn't asked you yet, can you share details of the system, that allows to support life of chili coral and keep it in opening for a feeding regularly?
Here is full list of questions and answers by other chili coral keepers. In short:
1. If possible, photo of the tank: to see chili's placement in relation to flow and other tank inhabitants.
2. What kind of filtration, how many times tank volume passes through filtration per hour, do you use UV, ozone, zeolites, probiotics?
3. What you are feeding to the chili and whole tank, total amount daily, frequency?
4. How do you describe flow around chili coral, any indicators of this intensity of flow, total flow in the tank g/hr or l/hr?
Thanks.

tinatina5

Thanks for all the replies I will get back to you cranberry to answer all the questions along with photos of the tank. The pic is of my youngest pink poodle for Halloween lol