clean live rocks

xeanliao

Today, I purchased about 100lb fiji live rocks. They have been in a reef tank for more than 10 years until today I purchased them. The owner is breaking the tank apart now.

They must be live, but I can see they have a lot Aiptasia and some turf algae on them. I won't be surprised there are also hidden things. If I can keep them alive, great. If not, I still want to clean them to have a clean start.

May I be guided to clean these rock?

xeanliao

Just watch a video from BRS: Bleach method seems very attempting to me. I think I will do more research and learning to decide whether I should try, as the video suggested: safety first :)

My #1 objective is to kill all the Aiptasia and worms. I am fine with they become dry/dead rock. These are for my future 2nd tank, I think I would like to have a clean start.

Question: what if I just expose these rocks under the sun (pretty hot recently), Or just soak them in RO/DI water for as long as it takes, will all those pest all died off?

jay0705

Fw or heat will kill every thing yes. However with all that dead matter your tank cycle will go off the charts for a few weeks. Unless the rinse the hell outa it. Even then you will never get it all out

jay0705

Never used bleach myself. As far as apatasia I've either used pep shrimp, matted file fish or individually cooked just them

xeanliao

Never used bleach myself. As far as apatasia I've either used pep shrimp, matted file fish or individually cooked just them
How about just the common curing method: heater and power head/water pump in 20 gallon container and let it cycle for weeks or as long as it takes, will those worms and aiptasia pest die, too? I am thinking, complete clean is nice to have, but good husbandry is really the long term success. But there are just so many aeptasia on these rock now. I for sure want to get rid of them first.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you do a quarantine for the rock to see if you can kill off the aips? Hopefully, that's the only real harmful thing on them.

xeanliao

Can you do a quarantine for the rock to see if you can kill off the aips? Hopefully, that's the only real harmful thing on them.
I would if I am sure aiptasia will die off. There are a lot of them and not small. I heard they are fairly tough to kill.

I am thinking to mix 3 gallon vinegar with 20 gallon tap water, soap these rocks in the bin over night, then rinse, air/sun dry them in my backyard. I am ok they become dry rocks. I googled a bit, I seem more comfortable than using bleach since I use these vinegar to clean my equip all the time.