Cleaning pumps

Shilpan

Hey guys! My tank turned 6months old and my log book has a note I've left for myself saying clean the pumps.

They have coralline specks on the powerheads and a few spirorbid worms on the return pump

What's the best way to clean these? Unsure how to clean return pump without a backup since I can't leave to soak overnight

2quills

A vinegar bath will help take off the coraline. Just rinse real good and put back to use.

florida joe

Bleach rinse well and if you are still concerned about the bleach use a Di-clorinator, BTW why do you want to get rid of the coraline ?

florida joe

Your pump most likely came with instructions on how to disassemble it, you just need to clean the rotating parts, if you don't want to disassemble put it in a bucket with a mix of water and 1/3 bleach and run it for a while.

2quills

Unless the coraline is somehow restricting the pumps intake it's not something I ever worry about personally.

Shilpan

Ok thank you!
Also, what do you guys use to clean coralline off glass? Takes forever to scrub off small specks with the magfloat

2quills

I got one of those Flipper mag cleaners from a raffle at my LFS that have the blade and scrubber combo and have to say I love it compared to the other mag cleaners I've tried and I've tried the best.

It glides so much easier and does a great job getting in all of the corners and along the sand bed. .02