cloudy water

Cindy Miller

I have had a 35gal tank with a damsel and 2 clown fish for about 5 years. About 4 months ago we decided to go to a bigger tank to try to get a more interesting tank. We did everything to set up the tank and had it going great so we added the fish. Everything seemed to be going well, but I started getting a lot of algae so I ordered a "clean up crew" and added them. I've lost about half the crabs and all but one of the snails. For the last couple of weeks, the water is cloudy. I do partial water changes every week, but nothing helps. When I test the water, everything is spot on except the nitrites are borderline stressful. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clear up the water?

lmforbis

If it is particulates a filter sock will help. If it is a bacterial bloom maybe, maybe not. The water quality probably killed the inverts. If you have nitrites your tank isn’t fully cycled or you added to much too fast or something died. You had algae issues which the clean up crew won’t directly help, it was because you had too many nutrients. Over stocking and/or over feeding for the bacterial levels in your tank.

beaslbob

Although it could be stuff stirred up like in a sand storm, it most likely is suspended algae and cyano bacteria. Both of which will die off in darkness. So try lights out for a few days to a couple of weeks to see if it clears up. Then resume with 1/2 duration lighting and adjust to the longest duration where the water remain clear.

I also highly recommend adding macro algaes to consume the nutrients. Best in a refugium which can be a simply tank partition with some added side lights to keep the macros thriving.

my .02