Clown Fish Probs

shannonking21

I have a 30 gallon fish-only tank, currently housing two clowns, a goby, and a hermit crab. My smaller clown was the very first fish I purchased, and he has been in the tank for probably 2.5, 3 months. He’s a super social, energetic, adorable little guy, and for the last week or so he’s lost his personality. He hides during the day and as soon as I shut the light off he comes out. It’s almost like he’s afraid of the light. I alternate foods so he has enough of a varied diet, and my water parameters are perfect. I even added a new little clown for him to hang around with. He just seems off. I’m not sure what else to do. Anyone else ever experience this?? (And I don’t have any live rock, just artificial decor. He hides in the large rock structure in the center of the tank)

lmforbis

Just a theory assuming these problems started after you got the second clown.
Your original clown has, by now, likely turned female. If you added another clown that is bigger there is a very good chance it is also a female. That means fights and in the end likely only one will survive. You can’t have two female clowns in the same tank. A male female pair will often work but not always. It is usually best to buy 2 very small clowns at the same time. One will turn female and the other will stay male.

jay0705

I agree with above. They also have to be the same specific clown fish. Can't mix percula with occ per say

HeathS

I have two Darwins and two Ocellaris and they all get along great. They were bought at differen't times and all 4 of them school together. I know it's unusual but I'm happy they aren't fighting.

lmforbis

“Darwin’s” are a variety of oscelaris clown. If you only have one female and they are well fed they may do OK. Long term I’d suspect you will end up with only two, one female and one male.

HeathS

Two black and two orange. I have four of them in there and they seem to love and enjoy one another.

lmforbis

But all oscelaris and they are probably young. Once they reach sexual maturity they won’t be so happy in a small tank.

HeathS

Hence my purchase of a 75 gallon...lol. Been making RODI water for two days and still trying to fill it up. I had planned on once it's cycled, separating the pairs.

lmforbis

75 is considered a fairly small tank. It is all about territory, and there isn’t enough territory in a 75 for 2 pairs of sexually mature clowns. Most don’t even consider a 125 a large tank, usually large starts at 150 to 180 gal.