clown fry

ljw1960

This is the 8th attempt to keep clown fry alive. For the first time about 25 fry are still alive after 24 hours. (keeping them in less water)Not all eggs hatched last night and I expect the rest to hatch tonight. Should I add tonight's fry to the nursery tank with last night's fry? Also, would you feed clown fry cyclopsis? I have been feeding them rotifers, but I was wondering if cyclopsis would be okay too. Any suggestions from your expertise would be greatly appreciated!

bang guy

Yes, all of the larvae from the same hatch can be raised together.

Gut loaded Rotifers are all I have ever used for Clownfish larvae. I do not know what cyclopsis is, never heard of it.

Can you describe your grow-out tank so I can get an idea on how it's working. They usually take a few days to starve to death if the problem is food. So, there's something else going on if they typically don't make it past 24 hours.

ljw1960

Nursery tank is a 10 gal. tank with heater and air stone going (temp @78 degrees), (air at moderate bubbles). Feeding Fry with rotifers that are fed with Nannoplanktin and Roti-Rich. At first we were filling the tank to about 3" from the top. Didn't do that with this batch as I read on this site that the tank shouldn't be over half full. We siphon the babies out of the main tank with a siphon hose. My husband is wondering if they aren't being beaten up by this process. Seems like they are swimming and moving with so much energy in tank after they are born, then after we siphon them into buckets and then siphon them again from the bucket into the nursery tank, soon we see a lot of them dead on the bottom of nursery tank. Had batch born two nights ago and the rest hatched last night and added them to the nursery tank. I would say we have about 25-30 that are still living right now. I feed them every 2-3 hours. Do you have to get up during the night to feed them? Cyclop-eeze are a selectively bred biologically engineered micro-crustacean, cultured from a shallow, pristine, arctic salt lake in Canada that contain extremely high concentrations of the critical biological pigment astaxanthene. It's a highly nutritious and desirable food for both freshwater and saltwater fish and an excellent food to feed to coral and other filter feeding reef inhabitants. We put this in our two tanks twice a day. I believe our tanks are in good condition and our fish are healthy. I don't know what we are doing wrong, but we are getting frustrated and ready to give up on trying to raise these babies, as this is our 9th batch we are on right now. Can't believe how much our clowns reproduce. No sooner the eggs hatch and three days later they are laying another batch of eggs. I sure hope you can give us some tips towards succeeding in this endeavor. By the way, we raise our own rotifers. Thank you so much for your time and look forward to hearing from you.

silverado61

Instead of siphoning, try shining a flash light in one corner of the glass. The fry will be attracted to the light. Then gently scoop them out using a small cup. Water and all. Takes longer but there's less damage to the fry that way.
Put the cup completely in the water before scooping. The key is being gentle.

ljw1960

Thanks......We'll do that next time, but I'll tell you.......we do shine flash light at top of the tank, but you wouldn't believe the amount of fry that stay low in the tank. I also have a correction to make. I said we feed them Nanoplanktin, but I was wrong. It is Nanocoreopsis (spelling?) that we feed them. Thanks for your info.

bang guy

Are the sides of your tank covered?

Oh, and I agree with Silverado. Siphoning is rough. I always moved the eggs to the nursery the night they were going to hatch.

ljw1960

Yes, my tank is covered in black. The first several batches of eggs were laid on a rock at the bottom of our tank that had other big rocks on top; so we couldn't remove them the night of hatching. My husband put a ceramic pot in front of the rock they were laying eggs on so that hopefully they would lay future eggs on it so we could remove it from tank. Well, our silly clowns decided to coerce our anemone to move and they decided to lay the last batch on the front glass of our tank. She just laid a new batch of eggs this evening on the glass in the same spot. So, we are stuck again. We will not siphon next batch, but carefully scoop them out with bowl. Well, on a good note.......we still have around 20-25 fry still living (3days old tonight). We've never made it this far.....keeping our hopes up. We got brine shrimp started tonight so we can start feeding them on day 5. Always welcome to suggestions.....thanks!

bang guy

How are the larvae doing today?

I wonder if you put a small pane of glass in front of where they spawned on the tank wall if they would start spawning on the removable piece.

ljw1960

Thanks for the suggestion. We will definitely do that with the next batch since this is the second time she laid the eggs on the glass instead of a rock. Our larvae are on their 5th day now and we just gave them some brine shrimp to eat. We have 19 larvae living......yahoo! Never made it past the second day. We are hopeful now. Thanks for all your input!