Clown Trigger

joecon1

I have a clown trigger 2.5", but he is not active at all. He will eat everytime food is offered, but will hide under the corals when I approach the tank. He has been this way since I got him 3 weeks ago. I thought triggers were active and not very fearful of people, especially those that feed them. Is there something wrong?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
As long as your fish are looking healthy and eating and there is no sign of disease or stress, then don't worry!
Few marine fish are going to follow you around like a puppy dog; however, once your fish gets really used to you and his new home, he will likely come out of hiding. Some helpful hints may be when you approach the tank, do so slowly, and don't be moving around while you're standing in front of the tank [kinda blend in with the scenery so your fish can get used to you]. Also, get your fish to associate you with FEEDING time. I use a large suringe to slurp up their food, then I slowly drip this into the tank. Soon they will see this sringe as the feeding source and the person holding the source as a positive factor in their lives. Also, this method give me a lot more control in how much food I put in the tank, where I put it and who gets fed first, etc. It is very helpful when you have a shy fish who can't compete with his more aggressive tankmates for food. Eventually, if you do this, you will almost have your marine fish eating out of your hands, and, even when your not feeding them, they will come up to eye level with you when you are near
Good luck!