Clownfish breeding

snakeblitz33

As mentioned earlier this year, I would like to get more into the art of breeding clownfish and other demersal spawners.
I have a pair of percula clownfish that I am going to get started with here in the next few months. I have them pair bonding right now. They seem to be hitting it off really well.
So, I figured I would need:
Phytoplankton culture station
Two 10g rotifer tanks
Two 2 liter bottles for hatching brine
Airline tubing
Rigid airline tubing
The little gate valve splitter thing. My mind went blank.
Glass bead air stones
Air pump
Ten gallon brood stock tank
Ten gallon larval rearing tank
20g grow out tank with small sump and filtration.
Coral vital plus (for the vitamins and minerals)
Medications
Refractometer
Salt
Tap water filter (since water quality is allowed to slightly slack)
Mixing reservoir
Assorted pumps and filters.
Pretty much just breeding one pair for now. When I get more room, at my next place, I'll breed as many as I can find room for.
So, now begins my journey into this aspect of the hobby! I'm excited.

mr. limpid

A smooth flat rock with a hole. Need to let them find a spot and place rock in the area. The hole is for in case they chose the upper corner of your tank, then tie a fishing line to it and suspend in the area. Good Luck. It will take a couple of years B4 they start to spawn usually around spring time for about 3 or 4 spawns. Mine just stop spawning last month they laid 3 batches.

snakeblitz33

I think I might just buy a breeding pair off the bat.
I'm going to use the four ceramic tile configuration at first.
Everything I have read says clowns continuously breed. Never heard of suspending anything. Am I missing something here?

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391282/clownfish-breeding#post_3469166
I think I might just buy a breeding pair off the bat.
I'm going to use the four ceramic tile configuration at first.
Everything I have read says clowns continuously breed. Nope only for a couple of months a year in the spring. I have had 3 different breeding pairs all bread the same. Never heard of suspending anything. My clowns chose the upper back corner of my tank, the lay their eggs in the silicone. So this why you suspend the rock so they will lay it on the rock not the silicone. Am I missing something here?

snakeblitz33

I have pm'd him in the past about the subject. I've also read many clownfish breeding books and none of them motioned that thy only breed two months out of the year. All that is said is they breed every 15 to 30 days. So, twice a year?
I've "saved" a few clowns before, but nothing ongoing. I wasn't aware of this.
So, to be profitable at all, I guess one would have to have a few dozen breeding pairs going?

mr. limpid

Ya all in different tanks because other wise they will fight. Getting less profitable. And think about it, LFS by me sell them for $10, they triple there price so you may get $3.33 each now mated pairs go for around $30 each now there's a profit for you.

snakeblitz33

The Lfs around me get $25 - $30 for one unpaired clown. I used to buy clowns for $5 to 10 wholesale depending on the species.
If you can save 100 per batch, once a month and have a couple dozen breeding pairs that's still 4800 clowns to sell per year at $5 each. More or less. Not rolling in dough buy enough to pay costs and use it as a semi-second job.
Even then, we aren't yet talking about the high dollar clowns like snowcaps, midnights, black ice, black and whites, etc etc.
Well, this new information kinda hinders my plans, However, it doesn't deter me from still trying it as a hobbyist for the time being.

mr. limpid

If my clowns spawned every 30 days I would only have one. Those suckers get mean I don't even put my hand near there side of the tank they would attack. I feel sorry for my lattice butterfly it can only use half of the tank for 2 months.

snakeblitz33

Ok, researching more into all of this, it might be more beneficial to learn to breed more than one species of fish. :)
Clownfish are just a great starting point.

bang guy

There are various reasons why Clownfish might stop spawning. Food is probably #1. The female requires a LOT of nutritious food to continually lay eggs. Envirinment changes will also put them off. This can include location, temperature, new tank inhabitants, even PH shifts.

snakeblitz33

Thanks bang.
So clean, stable water and a nutritious diet and they should spawn all year. Got it.
The problem then comes down to deciding when not to raise a spawn. Because there would be so many. Too many to sell to a local market.
This will definitely be an interesting hobby for the next few years.

Sarkfollower

Is there anyway to save him? New tank, didn’t wait long enough- fish gasping for air at bottom of tank- any way to save him until I can get him to an established tank in the morning???