Confederate flag controversy

snakeblitz33

With all this stuff going on, what are we really missing?

What is your opinion of this ongoing debacle?

Why aren't people being caught and prosecuted forndefacing a monument?

Should the flag have been banned in major retail stores?

Why will Walmart bake an ISIS cake but not a Confederate flag cake? Was it just incompetence?

Thoughts?

bang guy

From my conservative perspective:

With all this stuff going on, what are we really missing?
Typical sheeple knee jerk reaction. Instead of our news media reporting news they hype something up and make up their own news.

What is your opinion of this ongoing debacle?
People are giving insane bigots too much power. Instead of having the people decide what flags and monuments they want around THEIR state capital the politicians are blowing with the wind and deciding for them.

Why aren't people being caught and prosecuted for defacing a monument?
It's not currently PC to arrest people for this crime.

Should the flag have been banned in major retail stores?
I believe the retail stores have every right to not sell a product.

Why will Walmart bake an ISIS cake but not a Confederate flag cake? Was it just incompetence?
I believe the retail stores have every right to not sell a product or sell any legal product they wish.

jay0705

I have to agree. There are far deeper issues w this country. They get swept under the rug. We need to remember where we live and what it originally stood for

geridoc

I have to agree. There are far deeper issues w this country. They get swept under the rug. We need to remember where we live and what it originally stood for
Disregard the verbiage, what we originally stood for was freedom to rich white males, slavery to blacks,,and devil take the hindmost. The true story of America is a 200+ year process of extending the promise of the constitution to all citizens in both law and practice.

jay0705

Constitution being the key word there. It seems people in government have forgotten exactly what that means. Stronger gun laws, more open borders not only meaning mexico, but from every where. Yet crime/ massacre's are at all time highs. I'am sure its the dukes of hazard and confederate flags fault tho. I mean they just came to life in the last 10yrs!!!! I refer back to a quote from one of the Japanese general's after they bombed pearl harbor. He was told we sure leveled them. They had no idea. To which he replied"yes, I just fear we awoke a sleeping giant" we all know how that ended. Yet now, who are we that anybody would be fearful of??? Obviously not terrorists, school shooters, or any other criminal.

Kristin1234

If you don't like the flag, don't fly it.

I don't like cigarettes but that doesn't mean they should be banned based solely on my opinion.

Yes, our country is changing, mostly for the bad, in my opinion. Lets not forget where we came from and who founded this country. White American men.

I'm not racist by any means, but that flag doesn't solely depict racism.

Kristin1234

Our country has far bigger fish to fry than this stupid flag Bs.

They will make what they will out of this though, regardless. They always do.

snakeblitz33

Wait. Did wal mart really produce a Isis cake?? -_-

Yes, they made an ISIS cake.

I don't understand why people get the mindset that they don't like something or are offended by something, they want to ban the thing they take offense to. Why not just avert your eyes or not buy the product?

Kristin1234

Yes, they made an ISIS cake.

I don't understand why people get the mindset that they don't like something or are offended by something, they want to ban the thing they take offense to. Why not just avert your eyes or not buy the product?
Yup. Its just all politics. I find it comical they ban the flag and legalize gay marriage within the same week. I'm not hating, let me make that clear, just laughing.

Thanks Obama. Lol ;-)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm with Bang Guy. States and local governments should decide about the flag (with their decisions representative of the people's desire).

Personally, the Confederate Flag issue is a strange one for me. I don't like to see it, I'll admit and good things don't come to mind when I do see it on vehicles, or on someone's property. The flag represents a failed attempt for southern states to succeed (and not southern culture) in my mind. However, I can respect that some people do see it as a representation of their culture. Even so, would we allow a Cuban American flag to fly at the courthouse in Miami, FL? Or a Black Power flag to fly at New Orleans city buildings? No, that wouldn't happen.

As for businesses, it is their choice to sell or not sell whatever they want. Customers can oppose their decisions by whatever legal means they wish, such as writing letters, or boycotting their stores.

pegasus

I think what happened in SC was wrong. Instead of the governor and state representatives caving to the wishes of a few, they should have held a state-wide election to see what the people of that state wanted to do. Too many people are confused by all the hoopla around the Confederate battle flag. Someone, somewhere, cried it represents slavery... and the weak minded fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Sure there was slavery in the South... but it was in the North as well. Where do you think slavery began in the United States? The first case of slavery was in Virginia... and by a black man... Anthony Johnson. As far as the flag goes, it represented states that were fed up with big government trying to control every aspect of their lives (sounds familiar, doesn't it?), which was the reason America was settled in the first place... to get away from an oppressive, over-bearing government! History has a way of repeating itself, doesn't it? The South was fed up with tariffs, trade practices, and mostly... ideas of states rights. Some began seceding when Abe Lincoln (R) was elected. During this war, many former slaves lost their lives fighting under the Confederate flag. That doesn't get discussed very much, because it would diminish the "all-about-slavery" argument.

As for stores pulling items so as to be politically correct... screw them. If they don't want to sell items that offend a few, so be it. There are other stores that are willing to make money off of those items. There's a huge crisis in the South right now... no one can find Confederate battle flags. Those that still sell them can't keep them in stock. Gotta love these manufactured situations. Just like the threat of new federal gun laws... gun sales are at record highs. This is what happens when the government decides what's best for the citizens... since they obviously can't do it on their own. DUH!!!

darthtang aw

I'm with Bang Guy. States and local governments should decide about the flag (with their decisions representative of the people's desire).

Personally, the Confederate Flag issue is a strange one for me. I don't like to see it, I'll admit and good things don't come to mind when I do see it on vehicles, or on someone's property. The flag represents a failed attempt for southern states to succeed (and not southern culture) in my mind. However, I can respect that some people do see it as a representation of their culture. Even so, would we allow a Cuban American flag to fly at the courthouse in Miami, FL? Or a Black Power flag to fly at New Orleans city buildings? No, that wouldn't happen.

As for businesses, it is their choice to sell or not sell whatever they want. Customers can oppose their decisions by whatever legal means they wish, such as writing letters, or boycotting their stores.
I agree one hundred percent. The confederate flag is a representation of an attempted nation. Name a statehouse that flys a flag for another state other than their own. Name a federal building that flies another countries flag along side ours. The confederate flag has no business flying on government property. Private property I have no issue with.

The confederate flag is no different than a nazi flag in my opinion. The nazi flag is representative of the third reich. Yet not a single person here would think it a positive thing to see this flying in any area of Germany now. Why is the confederate any different. And don't give me that crap of proud southern heritage or representing states rights. The only states rights in question centered on slavery.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The flag itself was created after the succession, so in no way was it's intent to represent southern culture. It was meant to represent the creation of the Confederate States of America. The flag wasn't even created by an American nor a Southerner of the Confederacy, but a German. LOL

In this case, we do elect our governors and state reps to make decisions for us that supposedly represent our interests and desires, so I don't feel it was an infringement for these people to make the decision about the flag flying in public buildings. Its really too small of an issue, in my view, for it to be put on a ballot, and I don't really see much push back about not keeping it flying.

Southern culture has much better representations that come to mind than that old contentious flag.

flower

It does not represent Southern culture, it represents stupidity. JMO

Last edited:

jay0705

The flag it self isn't the real issue. The real issue is how our government handles things. A guy shoots up a church so lets criticism the flag?? Why? Bc he hated blacks? Alot of northern folk do to. Instead of addressing the real issues the government took the easy, appease the people approach. Most states you can not carry a gun in church. If allowed to do so, maybe a lawful citizen ended that shooting sooner than later. Maybe not. Yet that fella knew he didn't have to worry about it there, bc our government passes strict gun laws to keep us safe!!! Yea bc criminals give a rats ass about laws.

bang guy

We all know that the only reason he started shooting people in a church was because the Confederate Battle Flag was flying over the State Capitol.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The governor took the opportunity of the tragedy to do something that would result in some appeasement for some people, but also used the opportunity to get rid of the Confederate symbol which I'm going to bet most people working in those government buildings are happy not see every day they go to work. As I said, I haven't heard of any real push back on the decision, so likely SC people agree---time to lay the flag to rest. It belongs in a history book, not flying under the US flag.....Also, do you think that the people voted in to office should never make a decision wo first getting everyone in the state to vote on it? They were voted in to office in order to run government.

The confederate flag is a battle flag, not a symbol for southern culture. If SC citizens want the flag....then raise hell about it's departure from state buildings.

pegasus

Name a federal building that flies another countries flag along side ours.
Uhm... the United Nations building in New York? :rolleyes:

But no, states don't fly other state's flag. The Confederate flag, however, was a symbol of several states that agreed for it (Confederate battle flag) to symbolize what they stood for, and if I'm not badly mistaken, was intended to be the national flag of the new nation. To further the point, the flag was approved by all of those state's government. Your comparison to the Nazi flag is ridiculous, as the Nazis wanted to take over Europe. The South never intended to take over North America, and to compare the two is just downright silly. And for those who believe it's a symbol of hate because some lunatic group adopted it as their banner, take a look at the whole picture instead of what the media wants you to see and believe. If this flag represents slavery and racism, then why is racism so rampant in the North... while things are steadily improving in the South? Let that soak in, and perhaps it'll make sense after awhile...

flower

Uhm... the United Nations building in New York? :rolleyes:

But no, states don't fly other state's flag. The Confederate flag, however, was a symbol of several states that agreed for it (Confederate battle flag) to symbolize what they stood for, and if I'm not badly mistaken, was intended to be the national flag of the new nation. To further the point, the flag was approved by all of those state's government. Your comparison to the Nazi flag is ridiculous, as the Nazis wanted to take over Europe. The South never intended to take over North America, and to compare the two is just downright silly. And for those who believe it's a symbol of hate because some lunatic group adopted it as their banner, take a look at the whole picture instead of what the media wants you to see and believe. If this flag represents slavery and racism, then why is racism so rampant in the North... while things are steadily improving in the South? Let that soak in, and perhaps it'll make sense after awhile...
They lost the war...therefore the flag has no value as anything but a chunk of history, it certainly should not fly. I do see the resemblance to the Nazi's ... the KKK, and any other group who hates people because of their race. The Nazi swastika was at one time a holy symbol, they made it into something very ugly, and now it represents such evil that it is a shame to use it... http://www.iearn.org/hgp/aeti/aeti-1997/swastika.html
The Confederate flag is called the REBEL flag for a reason, The South rebelled against the President, and civil war resulted...they LOST. The only ones who fly it now, are rebelling against the nation/society over some idea or another. It does not represent the South, or any group of states of the South. I was born in North Carolina, it sure as spit doesn't represent me, or anything I care to associate with me.
It has its value as a part of history, nothing more. It does not belong flying on any property that belongs to the United States of America. America is UNITED, the war is over.