Connecting Frag/Grow out tank to Main System

acrylic51

Ok guys....Been a while since I've been around, but curious as to every ones thoughts on connect a frag/grow out system to the main system.....Would like to hear every ones pros and cons......

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/396254/connecting-frag-grow-out-tank-to-main-system#post_3530003
Ok guys....Been a while since I've been around, but curious as to every ones thoughts on connect a frag/grow out system to the main system.....Would like to hear every ones pros and cons......
We did it, partially because it saved us money/space, etc.
We've found it to work well, since water parameters were the same in each tank, we could just move a grown out colony right over, or if we were cutting a frag from the main tank to grow out in the frag rack, it didn't have the added stress of adjusting to new parameters. We have the same lighting on both tanks as well. Of course, if you don't QT your corals, you risk infecting everything.

tthemadd1

Do you not find a risk in the combination? Tank crash, infection, etc? That would be my only concern. Is there a way to control the salinity and temp on bothe tanks without the combined approach?

btldreef

Do you not find a risk in the combination? Tank crash, infection, etc? That would be my only concern. Is there a way to control the salinity and temp on bothe tanks without the combined approach?
There's definitely risks. But we've just had better luck. My frag tank can be shut off from my main system if necessary and can run on it's own. We had red bugs a few years ago and had to separate the two. (What a disaster - don't trust a "friend" and skip QT'ing or dipping new corals)
Really not worried about a tank crashing to be honest. I know it sounds silly, but I'm just not concerned with it. We have so many controllers that alert us and someone is almost always home to monitor the tank.
Of course you can get the parameters fairly similar from one tank to the next, but they'll never be quite perfectly in sync when separate.
Our frag system also serves as a display refugium (55 gallon hooked to a 180). I think the addition of it also being the fuge is very helpful. The corals really do eat the pods in there.

acrylic51

Thanks guys!!!!
There's always a risk into anything we doin this hobby. Contamination is a risk and a crash theoretically just doesn't happen IMHO in this instance. Yes things can go wrong but that's why we employ failsafes in our systems. Be it the tank overheating lighting etc, with the Apex all that can be remotely monitores and controlled.
As pointed out QT. The new additions wouldnt go directly into the frag system immediately. They would be isolated in another system and dipped repeatedly and observed and then moved to the frag system. Again there are never any guarantees but contamination I'm not seeing or following?? Keeping the systwms totally separated is an option and not an issue with equipment but as BTLDreef pointed out is the stability as far as water parameters are important to me. Lighting as well but I feel that is an easier adjustment than trying to balance 2 separate systems to match exactly

btldreef

It's definitely made transfers easier.
And the Apex is wonderful!
Luckily we have the same lighting (or one tank has 3watt LEDs and one has 5watts - but similar if nothing else).
The chalice frags really like the pods. They grow much quicker, because even if I forget to feed them, they get something.
QT definitely is key. Not enough people QT their corals. Dipping once is just not good enough

tthemadd1

Talked to the owner at my LFS today. She went Macna conference and is completely redoing her store with a lot of the new systems. Wealth of knowledge.
I'm still learning about this whole SPS tank system and the info here is the bomb. Not ready to dive off the deep end yet. LOL.
She knows one of partners within APEX and is schooling me on it.
Ill be interested in seeing it all together and running. My next goal after building my house this spring will be installing a reef tank with some type of grow out and fuge system.

snakeblitz33

I would have it on the main system. As long as you have had a lengthy quarantine period and your frags have been dipped and the eggs have hatched and dipped again if necessary - and your display tank is free of pests, then there wouldn't be a reason NOT to have it on the same system. I would argue that it helps the frags from the display tank share the same parameters that they are accustomed to in the first place.

I'd also make it a habit to send free frags to friends so just in case you do have a crash, you might can get some free frags back to help perpetuate the system.

Welcome back, Shawn!