Copperband stopped eating!

funkysean5

My copperband stopped eating! It has been eating for the past few weeks in the DT and the QT, and now just stopped. The water parameters are in check too.

spanko

Unfortunately one of the harder fish to get to feed regularly. this is why most die within six months or so of being in our tanks. Check out Crimzy, I think he has one in his 450 now. Maybe some information there on some other foods to try.

mboswell1982

It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterflyfish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2861542
It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterflyfish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.
You coppied that off somewhere!:p But still he is in a 150 gallons with all peaceful fish.

mboswell1982

yes yes i did LOL and i agree, talk to crimzy, im pretty sure he's got on, cc might have one as well, not sure though

funkysean5

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2861628
get some pics, an id say put him back in your QT to get him away from the other fish
Oh yeah I forgot to tell you that he was in there, not in the 150. And I can't get some pics right now, I broke my camera 2 days ago.

crimzy

I do have a CB, but unfortunately my having a CB for a few weeks hardly makes me an expert on the species. Depending on how long your CB has gone without eating, and how weak it is already, the chances are probably slim of it making it.
The fish no longer eating is not the problem, it's the symptom of the underlying problem. And, whether or not this guy makes it, you want to find out what the problem was and correct it if possible. Without even seeing the fish, and seeing your tank for the past week or two, any guess about the problem would be nothing more than speculation. Have there been any problems recently? Has there been any aggression among the fish? Water fluctuations (temp, chemistry, etc)? Have you rearranged the rocks, added new fish? In short, has anything changed in the tank that may have stressed this fish?
From your description, you don't mention any kind of disease/parasite/infection. Are the CB's eyes clear, colors OK, scales irritated? Are the fins/tail intact and full? With delicate species, I believe that there are simply individuals that sometimes just aren't strong enough to adapt to aquarium life long term.
Unfortunately, if your CB has stopped eating, is already showing signs of emaciation and weakness then it is likely too late. These fish are naturally skinny and going a few days or a week without eating can be too much for it to handle. I also think that transferring an already weakened fish to a QT, (assuming that you keep a similar QT to most), may have caused further stress on the fish.
Do everything you can now. Try soaking food in garlic. I could recommend various other foods but if the CB isn't going for anything, it is unlikely that simply changing the diet would do anything. Test everything in the tank and monitor the other fish to see signs of aggression/stress. In the end, this may simply end up being one of the fish that couldn't adapt to aquarium life.

Edit: Just read that you lost the CB... sorry to hear that.

funkysean5

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2861696
I do have a CB, but unfortunately my having a CB for a few weeks hardly makes me an expert on the species. Depending on how long your CB has gone without eating, and how weak it is already, the chances are probably slim of it making it.
The fish no longer eating is not the problem, it's the symptom of the underlying problem. And, whether or not this guy makes it, you want to find out what the problem was and correct it if possible. Without even seeing the fish, and seeing your tank for the past week or two, any guess about the problem would be nothing more than speculation. Have there been any problems recently? Has there been any aggression among the fish? Water fluctuations (temp, chemistry, etc)? Have you rearranged the rocks, added new fish? In short, has anything changed in the tank that may have stressed this fish?
From your description, you don't mention any kind of disease/parasite/infection. Are the CB's eyes clear, colors OK, scales irritated? Are the fins/tail intact and full? With delicate species, I believe that there are simply individuals that sometimes just aren't strong enough to adapt to aquarium life long term.
Unfortunately, if your CB has stopped eating, is already showing signs of emaciation and weakness then it is likely too late. These fish are naturally skinny and going a few days or a week without eating can be too much for it to handle. I also think that transferring an already weakened fish to a QT, (assuming that you keep a similar QT to most), may have caused further stress on the fish.
Do everything you can now. Try soaking food in garlic. I could recommend various other foods but if the CB isn't going for anything, it is unlikely that simply changing the diet would do anything. Test everything in the tank and monitor the other fish to see signs of aggression/stress. In the end, this may simply end up being one of the fish that couldn't adapt to aquarium life.

Edit: Just read that you lost the CB... sorry to hear that.
Thanks for trying to help!
And there was no sign of any disease or parasite, and he had very deep color, and clear eyes.